GT Fuel Tank Sender

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

GT Fuel Tank Sender

Postby jpsmit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Well I pulled the sender and while it might - <might> be rebuildable, it might just be easier to get another. Are they available? Is there a workaround?

any thoughts?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: GT Fuel Tank Sender

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Certainly the sender from an HC OHC is a rare thing. I recently explored the possibility of converting an OHV sender to be used in an OHC tank and yes it could be done. The actual electrical bit and the alloy lid are exactly the same apart from the need for a fuel pipe to pass through the lid for the OHC application and he bend on the float arm.

In the end the OHC one was repairable and that route seemed the easier option. The fuel pipe had come free from the alloy lid through corrosion, a quick clean up and come J B Weld saw it serviceable again.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Short answer, J.P, is no. They're not available as far as I'm aware. I've been searching for a long time for a new replacement for the OHC Viva 12 gallon tank sender unit.

These are the 'vertical mount' type fitted to the front of the 12 gallon OHC Viva GT / Magnum tank, not the 'horizontally' mounted type fitted in the top of the 8 gallon OHV Viva tank.

The OHC sender is identified by a six screw fixing to the vertically mounted sender unit body with the fuel feed pipe exiting through the body of the sender unit - with no fuel return pipe.

I haven't found anything suitable yet. Has anyone else found a usable replacement? Fingers crossed! :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Apologies David, we both posted at the same time! I'm glad you've managed to modify an OHV one. There is hope!
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Colin, your post arrived on the thread at exactly the same time as mine....

Altering an OHV one may be worth further investigation. I had thought of fitting a copper pipe through the lid and securing it with a plumber's tank compression fitting of some sorts. Tten altering the throw of the float arm to mimic the OHC one.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Colin wrote:Apologies David, we both posted at the same time! I'm glad you've managed to modify an OHV one. There is hope!

Crossed over again.... No, I haven't modified an OHV one but it looks doable.

For info, the Classic Mini tank sender has exactly the same alloy lid so the gasket can be used.

The resistance of both the OHV and OHC senders are the same at 200 ohms.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks all! Does anyone have a picture?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby chopper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 am

I have done this using a 6mm `pass through` brass bulkhead fitting to convert an 8 gallon sender
The 6mm fitting was drilled through 6.5mm to flow solder the 1/4" pipe in place (A 6mm fitting is much more compact than an imperial 1/4" one)
If you pm me your email I can take some pictures as it is my spare sender-I repaired my original in like manner. :)
(I can`t get my head around posting images on the forum-sorry! :cry: )
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:42 pm

chopper wrote:I have done this using a 6mm `pass through` brass bulkhead fitting to convert an 8 gallon sender
The 6mm fitting was drilled through 6.5mm to flow solder the 1/4" pipe in place (A 6mm fitting is much more compact than an imperial 1/4" one)
If you pm me your email I can take some pictures as it is my spare sender-I repaired my original in like manner. :)
(I can`t get my head around posting images on the forum-sorry! :cry: )

PM sent!

BTW - are OHV senders available?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Here's the pictures showing a modified OHV sender to suit a OHC tank that Chopper was talking about.

'Tip - keep copper pipe straight throughout initial assembly-only bend pick-up pipe after you have locked the back-nut securely in place so that it is not fouling the cork gasket/etc.'

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to Mechanical