7-dial dash,-speedo strip down???

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

7-dial dash,-speedo strip down???

Postby chopper » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Unit is `in-hand` out of it`s 7-dial housing.
I need to swap my speedo but my spare has a very loose front panel, it works fine but it`s wobbly on the alloy body
The screws are under the calibrated disc and the glass!, and they are both under the pointer.
Is the pointer in two pieces, i.e. small black disc on the shaft and orange `arrow` snapped in somehow?
How to get the pointer off the shaft?
I would like to reset the odometer to match the existing correct mileage but cannot see how to move the discs.

Any help much appreciated
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 7-dial dash,-speedo strip down???

Postby 1972nail » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Just pull the pointer off by gripping it by the round centre hub. The backing plates are held on by bent over alloy tabs and the very backing disc is held on with small screws. All very easy to dismantle.

Can't remember exactly how I matched up odometers but it wasn't too hard but it was fiddly and took a bit of experimentation.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: 7-dial dash,-speedo strip down???

Postby chopper » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Well the pointer was quite stubborn and I did not want to mash it up by gripping it.
Using two small metal plates and two small coffee spoons (as curved miniature prys) I was just able to push/prise the black boss (with the pointer) off the spindle from underneath. It was a great relief when it pinged off-but it was a tight little beast!
The rest was as you advised, -just work down throught the disc layers to the two hidden loose screws-they were so loose it had to be resolved.
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical