Stromberg installation queries

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Stromberg installation queries

Postby Mike Robinson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am

I’m changing to a Stromberg 150CD-SEV on an early 1256 HC but find that the choke connection means that the choke cable goes almost straight up, actually leaning toward the passenger side. The cable would need to be bent in far to tight a curve to get back towards the drivers side. I’m dithering about making a bell crank arrangement to allow the cable to pull the right way. Am I missing something?

Also with the vacuum plumbing (and the photo) I realise that “A” is a vacuum operated device to divert air intake from the forward facing inlet to take air from below , and guess it needs to be piped to inlet manifold connection C, but what's it for? Thermostat operation I could understand.

“B” seems even more odd – looks like a thermostat, but has no connections and doesn't do anything interesting between being in the fridge and being heated up.

I suppose that “D” goes the distributor vacuum advance because it’s installed just before a 'ramp' in the manifold, which might subtly change the vacuum reading, or should C and D be the other way round?

Any ideas?

Mike
Attachments
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Stromberg installation queries

Postby 1972nail » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Mike, it's been a while since I worked on these OHV carbs but I think you have deduced the plumbing almost spot on, A to C and D being the vacuum advance connection.

The only addition I would say is that A goes to C via the red thermostat in the air box, B. There should be 2 connections there. They will open (or close, I'm not sure which) when cold and allow the vacuum to operate the flap to direct warm air up from the exhaust manifold into the carb to aid cold running economy and reduce emmissions.

There is a special exhaust manifold with a stainless shroud which goes along with this air box. Then there is a flexible metal tube which connects from the exhaust manifold shroud to the opening in the air box just below where you have placed the letter A in your photo.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Robinson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm

David,

Thanks for the information. I didn't think of anything so sophisticated. I'll blank the system off for now and ignore the increased pollution.

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Make sure that the flap inside the nose of the air box is secure as it can cause a very annoying rattle. :(
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Robinson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm

It seems pretty solidly fixed but thanks.
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical