Quick Important question: bushing

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Quick Important question: bushing

Postby jpsmit » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Friends, I am hopefully reinstalling the front subframe in the next day or two (actually installing for the very first time but that is another story.

Please look at the picture - is this the correct direction for the bushing? (pushed in facing towards the outside of the car?)

Thanks!

also, any thoughts on getting it in? hot water? magic?

Imagebushing vauxhall by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Quick Important question: bushing

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Yes, the flange goes on the inside, and the bolt head on that end too, with the nut on the "outside" of the car. Consider the scenario where the bolt rusts in to the centre of the bush - with the flange and bolt head on the inside, a sharp belt will remove bolt and bush to allow the subframe to be removed. The other way around (the way I have it :oops: ) means that cutting is the only option. Obviously your bolt won't go rusty, and the centre isn't bonded in to the poly bushes anyway...

I used some washing up liquid, but I've since been reminded about the salt content in that so perhaps you could use Vaseline or something similar, or as you said soak it in warm water for a bit. I used the mounting bolt to pull it in, with a big washer and a sleeve around the outside of the subframe to allow the protruding bit. But mine were NOS rubber bushes, not poly.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Re: Quick Important question: bushing

Postby jpsmit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks! will hopefully get at it today - I hate when work gets in the way of hobbies!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical