while we are on the topic - rear shocks

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

while we are on the topic - rear shocks

Postby jpsmit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:24 am

So, I went to install the rear shocks today and find myself in a quandry. In a nutshell I have a number of options for the top mount and don't know how to proceed.

In my bags of parts is one side's worth of bushings and washers.

ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr

These are the rubber bushings that seem to have a "ring" in the middle almost as though they were intended to be a grommet for a larger hole.

They correspond to this diagram:

curiously it also corresponds to this diagram:

and this one

except that if you look closely you will see that the first diagram has no washers between the two bushings while the second and third picture show one on the top of the car body hole.

Needless to say I have none of these bushings. :( However, I do have bushings.

This picture is the set that came with the shocks themselves (as a separate kit)

you can see the diagram here:

On the other hand my diligent previous owner seems to have amassed another set shown here:

so, what to do? I can cobble things together, I can, well, I can do as I'm told. I am a little concerned with a metal to metal connection around the hole in the car body - but basically need wisdom,

thanks all!
JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: while we are on the topic - rear shocks

Postby pbottomley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:08 am

the body is metal so no need to put metal against metal, if it were me i would go (from top) NUT, washer, bush, body, bush, washer, damper
pbottomley

Postby jpsmit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 pm

pbottomley wrote:the body is metal so no need to put metal against metal, if it were me i would go (from top) NUT, washer, bush, body, bush, washer, damper

Kind of what I am thinking - which leads me to think the second set of bushes might be better as the first ones (the kit) are designed to have the washers top and bottom.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm with Paul on this one. The bushes your previous owner has collected are bottom rear shock bushes (conical) and what looks like front ARB (sway bar) outer end bushes. The correct top shock bushes have a concertina look just like the diagram. Don't know where the metal insert goes, never seen those on the rear shocks before. The HC has a pair of cup washers spot welded to the body so you don't need any between bush and body, not sure of the HB though.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:33 pm

jpsmit wrote:On the other hand my diligent previous owner seems to have amassed another set shown here:

The slightly-tapered bushes in this image are for the lower mount.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks Mike, so I think then the installation kit that actually came with it seems the closest thing.

are the concertina ones available?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical