Sump burst

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Sump burst

Postby Ash.Thew » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:20 am

Pulled out my engine as it would no longer start, to find that the sump has a a few holes in it and am unsure if I need to get a replacement or if it can be fixed. Any ideas? Cheers.

Ash.Thew
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Sump burst

Postby lord13 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:13 am

jeez...that looks like something was trying to get out!

good clean metal though, should be no problem to weld that up :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:12 pm

What on earth happened to it - something looks like it hit it from the inside.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I would be more concerned about the cause than fixing the sump... assume you are also looking at the engine (namely the big ends!)
pbottomley

Postby Ash.Thew » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Found out the problem, pulled of the sump (was kind of hard as one the the bolts was blocked by the burst) to find bits of this all through the engine.

Will probably end up taking it to the local reconditioning, as they will know what to do.
Ash.Thew
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:38 pm

That needs a full strip down and rebuild with new parts, that big end has let go spectacularly. There will be fragments of metal all over the place, all manner of swarf and crud everywhere, and the crank is shot now, that looks far too deep to grind out, and the fracture lines from such a big bang will be all through that journal.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Ash.Thew » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Yeah, the reconditioning conformed what you said, would need a total rebuild. So would be cheaper to find another engine. Will try the New Zealand vauxhall club, else would any of you know if there is any other engines that would fit?
Ash.Thew
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:31 am

No, nothing but the OHV viva engine will bolt up to the OHV viva gearbox. But there are options, a OHC engine and gearbox will bolt in with a few minor mods, and if you get the rear axle, upper rear arms and propshaft from an OHC viva it will be very simple to swap over. (you can run the old OHV axle, but they are weaker)
The holden Torana is our viva over there isn't it? Early models are badge engineered vivas, and slightly later versions still had the running gear arrangement, I think.... not sure to be honest, but its something to look at.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

FWIW yoeddynz on this forum is making engine swap noises for his HB wagon and is also located in NZ.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14870

He would also be my go to guy if I wanted a swap. (and lived on that side of the planet)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical