Bell housing questions

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Bell housing questions

Postby jpsmit » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:35 pm

So, once again slooowwwwllllyyyy getting back at it.

Actually the weather is getting a bit warmer and I have started refinishing a set of Cosmics for the Midget. And, I suspect I will be getting the Midget out of storage this week - which requires a major garage clean. But I digress.

Started cleaning the transmission last night and have a couple of questions (and one observation)

1. Looking at the picture, I prusume it matters to build up the "worn" part of the opening to factory? (Is this a common wear spot?)

2. There doesn't appear to be a gasket between the bellhousing and the gearbox. - Is this correct?

Observation: My Bellhousing can be used for LHD or RHD - is this true of all Bell Housings?

cheers all

ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Bell housing questions

Postby 1972nail » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm

That doesn't look too good! I've never seen damage like that. It shouldn't affect the clutch working but looks bad. There is a gasket between the bell housing and gearbox and I think I sent you one a year or two back. If not I think I have a spare one. Yes, the bell housing is universally usable for RHD and LHD.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 am

1972nail wrote:That doesn't look too good! I've never seen damage like that. It shouldn't affect the clutch working but looks bad. There is a gasket between the bell housing and gearbox and I think I sent you one a year or two back. If not I think I have a spare one. Yes, the bell housing is universally usable for RHD and LHD.

No that you mention it, I do recall that gasket - now where is that safe spot? :shock:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:16 am

The wear around that hole is a little strange, unless it's not wear but a "modification" to allow someone easier access to the bolts on the inside of the bellhousing when trying to remove a gearbox. If you have the gaiter to go around the clutch arm, or the blanking plate for the opposite side, then you'd need to fill the missing bit in to make it worth fitting.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:28 pm

droopsnoot wrote:The wear around that hole is a little strange, unless it's not wear but a "modification" to allow someone easier access to the bolts on the inside of the bellhousing when trying to remove a gearbox. If you have the gaiter to go around the clutch arm, or the blanking plate for the opposite side, then you'd need to fill the missing bit in to make it worth fitting.

so there is a gaiter too? will need to go find that. I do have the blanking plate - but of course won't need it.

I don't think it is a mod but maybe?

I recall earlier conversations about bolts and bell housings and gymnastics. I never really understood what that was about - Am I correct then that the inaccessible bolts are the bell housing to gearbox ones? (and if that is the case why would it matter - why not just take it all off bell housing and all?

thanks all!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Only some early OHC cars had the gator, that probably includes the GT however.

Yes, the bell housing to gearbox bolts are difficult to release with the whole lot in situ.

Removing the whole box with the bell housing in place is not an easy job and certainly not a DIY one man job due to the total weight. Also getting the top of the bell housing past the bulkhead without damage is nigh impossible. Plus slipping the gearbox off without the bell housing is only removing 4 bolts, the starter and clutch cable stay in place.

There are special spanners to access the bolts and they make it all a whole lot easier.

Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:39 pm

I wonder why the redundant RHD clutch lever aperture has been nibbled away on this LHD car's bell housing?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Mechanical