won't start after a run

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

won't start after a run

Postby lancsamb » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:59 pm

i fitted a new diaphragm and took the car vv hc 1256 out for a 10 mile run.She ran like a dream. i stopped in a lay-by for 5 mins to make a call but when i started her up she just would not start, she tried but died. i kept trying for about 10 minutes each time a little effort then nothing.it was like fuel starvation. I kept trying and pump the throttle hen all of a sudden she started to run and after about 5 secs she responded to the throttle. i drove her home. no issues. i turned it off waited a minute and ref started straight away. Any ideas why this has happened as it happened again last week when i went to wicked , got back to the car same thing. Could the stromberg need tuning? Any thoughts from anyone greatly appreciated.
lancsamb
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: won't start after a run

Postby kriswalsh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:05 pm

I have this sometimes when the cars parked in direct sunlight. The fuel evaperated in the pipes. Takes afew minutes to start. By pumping the peddle it probably flooded a little too.
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: won't start after a run

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 pm

Pumping the pedal had no effect on s Stromberg carb. It doesn't have an acceleration pump to squirt extra fuel in by pumping.

The things that most likely cause that problem on a Viva are fuel evaporation in the pipes, rate but possible. A loose inlet manifold, there are just 3 bolts holding it on. An air leak in the intake system somewhere, check the servo pipe too. A faulty coil which is running hot, the insulation inside breaks down and shorts out the spark. As the coil cools the insulation behind to return.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Mechanical