Gearbox Identification

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Gearbox Identification

Postby terencegurry » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 pm

I have a gearbox minus bellhousing I'm not sure if it's for a viva/firenza/magnum or not- it's very similar to my magnum one but the rear transmission-to-propshaft "cover" (don't actually know what you call it- referred to as the rear cover assy in the catalogue I think) is different in that the gear selector mounting point is different.

These are the part numbers for HC transmission I have in my parts catalogue:

The transmission casing is the same- 7211158 but the rear transmission cover is different- 91011917. The whole gearbox assembly has a tag on it saying 91016258- it doesn't appear in my catalogue BUT 91016259 does as the full thing.

I either think it may be a late model or possibly something off a chevette or mk1 cavalier? Kind of perplexed as it is a same part number for a 1.8/2.3 transmission casing. It seems "about" the same length as a normal transmission. I think it's also possibly NOS.

Pics- this shows the difference

Any help much appreciated as this has been knocking about my garage for the past 30+ years
15 years of dust to remove, ohh joy!

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Gearbox Identification

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:28 pm

That's a Victor gearbox. Fitting it to a Magnum means that you can't select 1st and 3rd gear very easily as the gear knob hits the dash. If you want to use it just swap the tail housing and selector over from the Magnum box.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby terencegurry » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:37 pm

Has anyone ever told you that you are like a walking encyclopedia?

Thanks a bunch mate- help is greatly appreciated. Are gear ratios the same in Victors?
15 years of dust to remove, ohh joy!

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Depends on which Victor gearbox it is. That one looks like a later one so the ratios are the same as the Magnum. The 3 rings machined on the input splines are the give away.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Mechanical