how to install a bushing?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

how to install a bushing?

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:38 am

Full disclosure, I should have thought to install this while the suspension was apart - now that it is all together I really don't want to try to take it apart.

So, any thoughts about how to install it?

thanks all!

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: how to install a bushing?

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 am

Lower subframe mounting bush? As far as I recall, I got a long bolt and a plate (maybe even the actual mounting bolt) and used that with some spacers to pull the bush into place, perhaps with some washing-up liquid as a lubricant. I don't recall having a lot of trouble with that one, though I do know that I've put them in the wrong way around on my Firenza and keep putting off doing anything about it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:40 pm

As Mike says a suitable nut and bolt and tube spacer ( I used a large socket from my socket set) - lubricant and spanner! I used superflex bushes from TDC Automotive Ltd and they come with a tube of lubricant and they popped in with no problem.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 pm

thanks, I am a bit away from doing it but will try this.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 pm

thanks again for all this - I just pulled the suspension again and, just want to confirm that in the picture at the top that the bolt is correctly placed which is to say that when installed, the wide part of the bushing is on the inside of the metal and the narrower part is on the outside (facing the frame where it is bolted on) like the picture here. Also, being a poly bushing there is no metal centre needed is there?

bushing 2.jpg
bushing 2.jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 881 times

bushing 1.jpg
bushing 1.jpg (56.8 KiB) Viewed 881 times
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:26 am

jpsmit wrote:the bolt is correctly placed which is to say that when installed, the wide part of the bushing is on the inside of the metal and the narrower part is on the outside

Yes, that's correct, the wide part sits toward the inside of the car. That's what I have wrong on my Firenza - on that, I put the wide part so that it sits between the chassis rail and the subframe, which isn't correct, but it's a lot of fuss to do anything about it. One way to think of it is that on the original Vauxhall bushes, if the bolt rusted into the sleeve, it was just a case of undoing the nut (which sits on the outside of the chassis rail) and belting the end of the bolt, and that would usually push both bolt and bush out in one go.

As for the centre piece, I don't know, I thought all the poly bushes had steel centres, maybe that's only on stuff like wishbone bushes where there is an amount of rotation around the bolt on those. I guess the question is how much bigger is the hole than the bolt? If it's a good fit, then there's no room for a sleeve.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks so very much! I presumed it was correct but wanted to confirm.

cheers
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 am

Once again a huge thank you to all who perpetually help with this forum.

Success!

Tonight I went out with every thing I could think of, the assembly grease that came with the kit, dish soap, hot water to soften the bushing and a rather manly socket. Wound it all in, a tiny popping sound and Robert is your mother's sibling.

I took the steel insert out of the old bushing but it doesn't seem obvious that it should fit so I think I will stick with the bolt (unless I receive more better advice)

Thanks again and I can now proceed. I actually think I will do some engine bay work (heater/ wiper motor etc. before I rush to reinstall the subframe. Thanks all! cheers

bushing one 1.jpg
bushing one 1.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 854 times

bushing 2 2.jpg
bushing 2 2.jpg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 854 times
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 am

I don't know what make of poly bush you have, but if you look at the page for the Superflex version, there is clearly a stainless steel tube that fits up the centre of the bush: https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail. ... 77-0035KSS

On poly bushes they do just slide into place, in contrast to the standard rubber ones where they are bonded. So in theory, depending on the measurement of the centre hole on yours, it's just a case of finding a suitable length of stainless tube.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:53 pm

well that's interesting! Off to the parts bin to see what I can see.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Next

Return to Mechanical