misfire then breakdown

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: misfire then breakdown

Postby hbr341 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi All
I have got the viva out and fully warmed up sure enough after 35mins running seamed to misfire and cut out but did start up straight away but running a bit uneven so i checked the voltage at the coil I got 13v-13.5v at the ballast and 11volts after the ballast and 10v coil to points this is with the engine at tick over. I think the next thing will be to book the car in for a rolling road test as I have no Idea I think I have done all I can.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Isn't that quite high for the figure after the ballast? I thought it was supposed to drop further than that, but then I'm only thinking of HC, which might be different.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnboy HB » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Could be fuel evaporation, or maybe valve clearances too close, but that would have been ruled out as rizzo says by compression test hot
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi
Thanks for your replies Its not fuel evaporation last summer I thought it was so I fitted a plate under the carb and it keeps the carb cool tomorrow night i will check the valve clearances Thanks

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical