Brake upgrades

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Brake upgrades

Postby Acton-hc » Sat May 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Hi guys needing some advice on brakes, I’m wanting to sort out the front brakes on my Hc estate but thinking of upgrading as I want to put a different more powerful engine in it.

Any ideas on the brakes it’s a 1256 Hc estate
Acton-hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Brake upgrades

Postby cooperman » Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 am

I think it depends on how much you want to machine and modify, as far as I know you can fit OHC discs and calipers for a bigger disc, then change to m16 calipers for more force, but you may need to beef up the crossmember depending on your engine weight
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 am

Just be aware that any 'major' alterations will change the way Mr DVLA will look at the tax and MOT situations!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby brading » Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

Go on Youtube, put in HC Viva Coupe there a couple of vids there of using Renault 21 Savanna vent discs.
brading
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Acton-hc » Mon May 03, 2021 6:18 pm

brading wrote:Go on Youtube, put in HC Viva Coupe there a couple of vids there of using Renault 21 Savanna vent discs.

thanks for the suggestion wonder if they are harder to get hold of then the original brakes.
Acton-hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon May 03, 2021 6:18 pm

brading wrote:Go on Youtube, put in HC Viva Coupe there a couple of vids there of using Renault 21 Savanna vent discs.

There's a thread on here somewhere about using those Renault front discs.

There was someone in the club Facebook group doing a serious upgrade kit sometime last year, I think.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 03, 2021 7:34 pm

You need the OHC uprights to fit the Renault discs. Unless you increase the diameter of the disc or the contact area of the pads all adding vented discs will do is do reduce the tendency for brake fade. Fade is something you don't really have to worry about on a road car the weight of a Viva.

The standard Viva brakes are quite good if they are in good condition, fitting good quality pads makes a vast difference to mediocre feeling brakes. Check out the various compounds available for Minis, assuming you have Lockheed calipers.

There are 4 pot caliper upgrades available for Minis which will fit the OHV uprights and work with standard 8" discs. These will add extra pad surface area and therefore increase stopping power.

I'll believe Jodi Hunns of the FB page makes various brake upgrade kits which fit OHV and OHV uprights.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Mechanical