no oil coming out of oil pressure switch and oil filter

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

no oil coming out of oil pressure switch and oil filter

Postby alanpoole » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm

I have a 1966 Viva HA SL showing orange light for oil on running, took the oil pressure switch and oil filter off and no oil coming out, any suggestion what may be wrong thanks Alan
alanpoole
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: no oil coming out of oil pressure switch and oil filter

Postby Bob perry » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:56 pm

Sounds like a blockage somewhere Alan.
Is oil flowing up to the tappets? Take the rocker cover off and start her up. It will get messy pretty quickly if it is pumping up there, but at least you will know there is pressure.

If not, then it sounds like the pump pick up could be blocked, or maybe the pump itself, or the pressure relief valve has packed up!!

Is it old oil? Have you flushed and changed the oil recently?

I would drain, flush and refill first, and fit a new filter. If it still doesn't flow then, sorry to say, its engine out and get the sump off to see what's happening.

The sump can't unfortunately be removed with the engine in situ, AND it's engine and gearbox as an assembly remember!

If all looks in order then there, then there is a major blockage in the oil galleries somewhere, but I suspect the pump valve or pickup mesh. I've even had one fall off the pick up tube once!!

Good luck.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby alanpoole » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Bob perry wrote:Sounds like a blockage somewhere Alan.
Is oil flowing up to the tappets? Take the rocker cover off and start her up. It will get messy pretty quickly if it is pumping up there, but at least you will know there is pressure.

If not, then it sounds like the pump pick up could be blocked, or maybe the pump itself, or the pressure relief valve has packed up!!

Is it old oil? Have you flushed and changed the oil recently?

I would drain, flush and refill first, and fit a new filter. If it still doesn't flow then, sorry to say, its engine out and get the sump off to see what's happening.

The sump can't unfortunately be removed with the engine in situ, AND it's engine and gearbox as an assembly remember!

If all looks in order then there, then there is a major blockage in the oil galleries somewhere, but I suspect the pump valve or pickup mesh. I've even had one fall off the pick up tube once!!

Good luck.

Thanks for that. I have only just bought the car I will try the things you have said
alanpoole
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Bob perry » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 pm

Hi Alan. So the car was running when you got it?
How long before you noticed the oil warning light, and is is making any form of knocking to indicate oil starvation?
Draining the sump would be a good start, to see if there is oil in it! Then refill like I said and test again.

I'm getting more convinced of a pressure relief valve in the oil pump problem though, sorry!!

I've got pictures from the manual, if you need it. Just p.m. me.

Whereabouts are you situated?.

Let us know how you are getting on. Us HA boys have to keep them rolling!!

Bob
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Bob perry » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:38 pm

Sorry I've just noticed you are in Manchester, Dohh!!
Bit far for me, but I will help where I can.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby alanpoole » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:50 am

Yes we started the car up and the oil light was on all the time we thought the switch was faulty, oil is new so is the filter not noticed a lot of noise as i am deaf but others said it does not sound to bad for noises could be the top end valves ect what is making a noise if not getting oil. thanks again alan
alanpoole
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am

alanpoole wrote:took the oil pressure switch and oil filter off and no oil coming out, any suggestion what may be wrong thanks Alan

alanpoole wrote: oil is new so is the filter

Going by this it sounds like the oil was changed recently and the filter was put on without being primed. I had this issue the first time I changed the oil in my HC.
Try filling the bowl the filter sits in with oil and get it screwed on quick without making too much of a mess or spilling too much. With any luck its just an airlock and this will resolve that issue.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby alanpoole » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 pm

HC Fairley wrote:
alanpoole wrote:took the oil pressure switch and oil filter off and no oil coming out, any suggestion what may be wrong thanks Alan

Going by this it sounds like the oil was changed recently and the filter was put on without being primed. I had this issue the first time I changed the oil in my HC.
Try filling the bowl the filter sits in with oil and get it screwed on quick without making too much of a mess or spilling too much. With any luck its just an airlock and this will resolve that issue.

I shall try that
alanpoole
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Bob perry » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:29 pm

Haven't heard of an oil air lock before, but feasible I suppose. Nothing to lose, so give it a go!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby alanpoole » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:19 pm

HC Fairley wrote:

Thanks for that I have took the filter off pumped oil into the oil ways in the back plate filled the cannister with some oil and started the car up No oil light on so it seems to have worked thanks for that. Alan
alanpoole
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to Mechanical