brake pipe fittings

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

brake pipe fittings

Postby hbr341 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:19 pm

Hi
I have to order some brake pipe unions but iam unsure of the size I will need. most of them are 10mmx1mm metric I know the pipe I have is 3/16 dia .

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: brake pipe fittings

Postby 1972nail » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Hi Chris, they are not 10mm, only the male ones on the master cylinders might be 10 mm depending on age. They are 3/8" 24tpi unf.

Be careful as the metric ones can be forcibly screwed into the imperial fittings and visa versa. The master cylinder is the only place where there is any doubt and are most likely metric, only early cars might be imperial. All the other fittings are definitely imperial.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby hbr341 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi David
Thanks for the info its been over 10 years since I last bought any just need to locate some now.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:27 pm

Chris, I would buy enough imperial ones to do the whole car including the three male master cylinder ones plus three mail M10 ones, that way you will have them to hand. Also I always go for brass fittings for my cars as they won't corrode and seize. It also coat the treads and the bit of pipe the fitting covers with copper ease, just in case.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Chris, I would buy enough imperial ones to do the whole car including the three male master cylinder ones plus three mail M10 ones, that way you will have them to hand. Also I always go for brass fittings for my cars as they won't corrode and seize. It also coat the treads and the bit of pipe the fitting covers with copper ease, just in case.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Mechanical