Brake System overhaul 1978 Viva E

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Brake System overhaul 1978 Viva E

Postby gurrier » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:20 pm

Hello all,

I am starting on the safety related issues first to recommission the Viva.
Front Brake Calipers are Lockheed .

Got an unpleasant surprise when I pushed out one of the pistons.

Pitting on the very bottom of the of the cylinder causing wear on the piston.

Awaiting response from Power Track about reconditioned calipers which is presumably the way I will have to go.

Anyone suggest any other option(s) ?

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Bank Holiday -I know what I will be spending my free time on.

Regards,

Bill
1978 Vauxhall Viva E Two Door Saloon Member HC982
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Brake System overhaul 1978 Viva E

Postby jpsmit » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:55 pm

Bill, it is unlikely that the caliper is scraping the cylinder. A bit of pitting is fairly normal. If you get a rebuild kit and replace the pistons, you should be good to go.

When I did the brakes on my GT (I suspect they are the same) I found to my delight (and the delight of my pocketbook) that Triumph Spitfire brake pistons are the same.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby gurrier » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:25 pm

Many thanks jpsmit, I will get the kits and pistons and progress.

On a tangent,as you mention the Spitfire-I am trying to source a distributor cap, rotar, condenser, AC Delco D204 -would you know if the ones on the Viva are interchangable with the Spitfire. My searches all bring me to Triumph Ignition systems with no mention of interchangeability with Vauxhall.

Regards,

Bill
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun May 01, 2022 2:07 am

Bill, sorry, no idea - I have the 1975 cc engine. But they seem cheap enough on ebay that it might be worth a try
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby HC Fairley » Tue May 03, 2022 9:01 am

Hi Bill,

Viva parts come up on eBay now and again. I am not sure if any of the ignition system is interchangeable with the Spitfire. I would recommend joining the Owners Club here which will get you access to the spares scheme. The club stocks an abundance of rare or hard to find parts for our cars and I have been bailed out quite a few times when I couldn't find what I needed online.

On a separate note again, specifically to do with the ignition system, you could convert to an electronic ignition, very simple to do and most cars in the club now run one. The attached link shows a kit with a rotor arm included. This would do away with your need for new points and condenser, You would still need a new cap but these are very easily obtained. Plenty of info on the forum of how to convert it correctly and what parts you needed if you wanted to go down that route.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170933041464 ... SwLF1X5P~s
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby gurrier » Tue May 03, 2022 4:26 pm

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply HC Fairley.

I believe I did join the owners club but I have been a bit reluctant to dive in straight away looking for parts lest
I be perceived as being lazy.

Do I send an email to the contact person in the club.

Regards,

Bill
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue May 03, 2022 4:55 pm

gurrier wrote:
I believe I did join the owners club but I have been a bit reluctant to dive in straight away looking for parts lest
I be perceived as being lazy.

Not at all Bill the spares scheme is there to be used by paid up members to keep our cars on the road. Yes if you email the spares coordinator he should be able to sort you out with any parts you need.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby gurrier » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Hello all,

Continuing with Brake overhaul I wish to change the Back Brake Cylinders as there is a corrosion issue in the bores.

Members may not/be aware that on the left (passenger side) Brake Cylinder of a late Viva - such as mine - there is no bleed nipple. Instead there is an interconnecting line between right and left cylinders - the right cylinder is connected into the opening where the bleeder nipple would otherwise be on the left cylinder. This opening on the top is wider than that for the bleeder nipple.

Please see the attached photograph with the clear size difference seen in the top opening, left and right respectively.

The right side cylinders (two of which I now have, one being useable for me) are still in use, with two size different openings, one inlet pipe and one bleed screw and surprisingly for me specified for as a late a model as the Zafira.

Interested to know how this issue can be resolved.

Regards,

William
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby cooperman » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:40 pm

I think Adrian Miller may have the correct wheel cylinder for you. You can PM him on here, his user name is ADRIAN
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby gurrier » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 pm

Many Thanks, Cooperman.

Regards,

Bill
gurrier
SL Viva
SL Viva