LHD Conversion

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

LHD Conversion

Postby BarnsleyTone » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:46 pm

Has anyone converted a LHD HB to RHD? I see the rack is obviously different but I think the dash instrument binnacle is the same size as the glovebox aperture so should swap, I also see there is a support on the lower inner dash panel to pick up the column and that should be straight forward enough to swap. Is the wiring loom different?
Thanks in advance.
Is it beeroclock yet?
BarnsleyTone
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: LHD Conversion

Postby jpsmit » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:18 pm

As someone who has an LHD there are differences. The firewall holes are different. I don't have a RHD wire harness to compare but I suppose you could swap sides in terms of the run - it might not be 'factory' but it should work. The brake lines are actually still (I think) in place for RHD with extensions. I have two different length clutch cables. The longer one goes all the way around the engine to get at the (RHD) fork. The (GT) bell housing has holes for LHD and RHD, so, prbably doable.

good luck!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby BarnsleyTone » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:47 pm

jpsmit wrote:As someone who has an LHD there are differences. The firewall holes are different. I don't have a RHD wire harness to compare but I suppose you could swap sides in terms of the run - it might not be 'factory' but it should work. The brake lines are actually still (I think) in place for RHD with extensions. I have two different length clutch cables. The longer one goes all the way around the engine to get at the (RHD) fork. The (GT) bell housing has holes for LHD and RHD, so, prbably doable.

good luck!

Thanks, I don't mind redoing the bulkhead holes etc and the brake pipes are certainly not an issue. Never occurred to me about the clutch cable but I guess the RHD ones are easily available.
Is it beeroclock yet?
BarnsleyTone
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby GTpete » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:23 pm

I was planning to change my GT from righthand drive to lefthand drive. Yes, you need a new loom.
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BarnsleyTone » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:31 pm

GTpete wrote:I was planning to change my GT from righthand drive to lefthand drive. Yes, you need a new loom.

Just curious but, why? Do you spend much time abroad with it?
Is it beeroclock yet?
BarnsleyTone
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby GTpete » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:01 pm

Just to give me more clearance for the steering column, as starter motor on the Chevy is on the RHS of the engine....
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical