Girling rear drums

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Girling rear drums

Postby steff » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:58 pm

Dismantled the Girling rear drums on my early HC

Does anyone have a photo of which way the springs go?

cheers

Steff
HC496
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Girling rear drums

Postby thomas » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:09 pm

Here I think might help:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26630&p=105939

It's an HB but they'll be the same. Girling Illustration No.7 shows the springs oriented correctly. The shoes in the picture with the red painted back-plate are fitted the wrong way round, see the sketch further down the linked page, with the shoe-linings covering different parts of the shoes, depending where and on what side installed.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby steff » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:56 pm

Thanks by the look of no.7 I have my shoes the wrong my way round for the night n handbrake shoe that slot needs to be at the adjuster. Will check that bit.

Cheers

Steff
steff
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:48 pm

steff wrote:Thanks by the look of no.7 I have my shoes the wrong my way round for the night n handbrake shoe that slot needs to be at the adjuster. Will check that bit.

Cheers

Steff

That's probably a good way to remember it for as long as they take to fit, that applies to both sides of the car.
The handbrake slot being used can only be in one place and the unused slot will be diagonally opposite.

Reposted here the most relevant images, other stuff on servos still in other thread:

thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical