Crank Identification

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Crank Identification

Postby Miss Icey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi All,

Just dug this crank out of my box of spares, as I would like to sell it, but I am not sure if it is for a Viva?
I could only see the two numbers pictured.
Oh and it has a 'Yellow' paint mark on it!

Sorry if its obvious, but I am a n00b :oops:

Miss Icey

Postby lambaj » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:55 am

Hi

Looks like a 1256 crank to me, but as all the cranks are very similar, the only way to be sure is to find somebody with the vauxhall part numbers, or to measure the main bearing and big end bearing sizes and go from there....

Is it a new crank ??? or a re-grind - any ideas. If its a new one, a 1256cc or 1057cc, I may well be interested. How much are you thinking of selling it for ?

Cheers
Tony

Anyway, Whats a nOOb ?
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Miss Icey » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:03 am

Thats what I got from the Chevette guys, that its probably a 1256, but the colour paint doesnt match the 'normal' crank. Which is odd. I have the EPC, but annoyed as it doesnt go back that far.

I'm assuming its a new crank, but I couldnt tell you for certain, it came with a box full of Vauxhall spares for a Chevette & Viva.

n00b = A inexperienced and/or ignorant or unskilled person.

Im just inexperienced with Vauxhalls, well old old ones anyway.

As for a price I'm not sure, how much does a new crank go for and how much does a reground crank go for?

I'm sick to death of tripping over it!!
Miss Icey

Postby lambaj » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:36 am

The coloured paint blobs on the cranks are a grinding tolerance marking scheme. Different colours reflect the accuracy of the grind so the best fitting bearings/rods can be matched up. Blocks are sometimes coded the same way with piston bores.

I've no idea what a new crank is worth - I have several, but it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the standard size bearings I have and no crank to match.....

Not sure if "postage" is an option though...... were abouts are you ?

Tony
(HA21)

PS, don't knock yourself! Everybody has to learn and a true nOOb would just throw it in the skip rather than try to learn/find a home for parts!
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Miss Icey » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 am

I can measure it if its any help to you (If you tell me what points to measure from and two).

I don't think postage would be an option, its stupidly heavy!
Miss Icey

Postby Miss Icey » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Anymore Ideas?!
Miss Icey

Return to Mechanical