Spongy Brakes

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Spongy Brakes

Postby pbottomley » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:33 pm

Yes yes I know its a silly question, but just how *Bleep* are the brakes on a HA deluxe suppose to be?

I tried mine the other day and OMG pedal was half way to the floor before it sloweed and stopped the car, and all I was doing was rolling the car forward. The pedal movement seems excessive, maybe it just needs bleeding or is that normal? :?
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:46 pm

Dosent sound normal, even with the drum brakes you should have a firm pedal. Try bleeding them. Look for leaks on the wheel cylinders, or it could be the master cylinder giving up.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby HC » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:14 pm

I think you have an excessive clearance between the drum and shoes. adjust them first and then bleed the system ( if necessary)
HC

Postby Clara » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:36 pm

The brakes on my HA have always been really sharp (and I would say better than the rover - but then they failed!). Sounds like yours want some adjustment.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby griffonmark » Sat May 13, 2006 11:02 am

Hi, If you are going to bleed your brakes use one of those kits you can by from accessory shops which use the spare tyre pressure to help. I got one and it is superb as it flushes all the *Bleep* out and you get a rock solid pedal, and it is quick to use on your own. I got mine after a row with the wife who was pumping the clutch pedal! Regards, Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical