Engine that's been standing

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Postby mazzo » Sat May 27, 2006 4:53 pm

It runs! :D

Filled it with oil - but there's so much sludge in it that the oil is already changing colour. The water is clear - but until it runs up to normal temp, I won't know if there is a head gasket problem.

Makes me wonder whether oil attracts water and it has simply picked up loads over time through some of the missing breather hose points??

Oil light goes off, it idles smoothly - and sounds good.

What a relief - so thanks to all for the help. :wink:
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun May 28, 2006 7:50 am

Hooray!!!

Glad to hear it lives!!
your thoughts on oil attracting water etc, I'm not sure there is a link, but it is possible for condensation to drag water into a block etc. Not sure there would ever be enough to give you a pool of water in the sump though..... Maybe in its life it was left out in the rain, and filled up that way. Its possible it may not have done much harm, as long as the water has not rotted important surfaces like cam lobes etc....
You could have a leaky gasket somewhere (head probably). You will know if the water leaks in to the oil pretty quickly...... you will end up with a load of soap in the rocker box. Oil in the water will give you a revolting load of goo in the radiator, and leaks in to the piston chambers will either blow all the water out the radiator (compression pressurising the waterways), or loads of smoke as the oil burns. You never know, you might get away with it..... give it that flush and then a new filter and oil, and use it...... might last for years, conversely, might last for a week - you won't know unless you re-build it.
Anyway. Cheers!
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Sun May 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Cheers Tony.

Yep, time will tell. Head gasket I can cope with - cylinder cracks I can't!

Now - the welding...........

Billing here I come (I hope)!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical