MoT Question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: MoT Question

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Yes, the NI system works fine for me and we do get reminders 6 to 8 weeks in advance. But there are 'horror stories' out there, we all have them, me included.... here's mine.

Our Minor Traveller (and of course all other Minors) has an exhaust hanging strap bolted through the boot floor. Our car had been repaired in the past in that area and the hanging strap moved leaving the original hole. The 6mm hole had started to become ragged and no longer looked drilled. The car failed on a rust hole within 300mm of a vital suspension mounting point! I asked to see it and was shown the strap mounting hole.

I explained what it was and was told it had to be repaired as the car was now recorded as a Fail. I immediately booked a re-test - I got one the next morning. I went home, cut a postage stamp size piece of steel and welded it in place with 4 spots of MIG. You guessed it....it passed! It still has that repair to this day.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby dann01 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 am

Yeah, all valid points made, except...

Without a test of any kind other than the one when the vehicle is first purchased, there would certainly be death traps on the roads. And call me a cynic, but all is fine and dandy with that until it's a family member, or a friend that's killed by someone who hasn't kept their vehicle in any kind of road worthy state, and then it's "There should be a test" or "Why did they do away with the test" or "That car shouldn't have been on the road." When someone close to you dies because of something like this, it WILL change your perspective, I guarantee it.

I have a friend who MOT's and services cars... He has shown me pics and footage of vehicles he's seen that are just 3 years old, and undergoing their first test. Cars that have done maybe 30k miles in the hands of frantic women drivers doing school runs, fleet cars, rep mobiles, SUV's, all sorts. Cars with cracked brake disks and down to the metal on the pads. Cars with control arms hanging off or sheered, cars with tyres so bald the weave is showing... And these are nearly NEW cars, let alone old metal like ours in the hands of the few who can't be bothered to just check their cars over.

Sorry, but I think we need the test.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby ADRIAN » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:59 pm

In France, the test is every 2 years for cars, and every 5 years for classics. (Called the Control Technic). Most are independant test companies, - so not linked to any garage. And very expensive compared to our prices, even though the test is less strict and only gets a quick look over. They are all one man testers, so the suspension is tested on rumble machines, which I think are too rough on old cars. Strangely, if you have a "fail" you can still drive the car but you have 6 weeks to fix the problems and return for another test. (full fee payable again)
Really OLD Vintage cars dont need a test in France. I once saw a really tatty 1920's barn stored Humber, that was used as a chicken shed. That car was brought out for a road run & car show and it was in front of me in my Viva on the road run. . Its tyres were the originals and bald down to the canvas. And the local plod / Gendarmarie just waved it through at junctions with a happy wave! The French are strange in some respects.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:10 am

Out of interest my Viva was MOT today. I droped it of the night before at the garage so they had it first thing in the morning. Had a call at 0930 to say it passed. Agree with Dan there needs to be a basic test of some kind, but at a reduced fee . it took no more than 30 minutes to mot the Viva
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

At £35 per test I think is worth the peace of mind to know someone has checked it over - there are ways of keeping the cost down without not having a test - my day car gets a free MoT through my AA fuel card - as I said my MoT man does my Classics for £35 - so 5 cars £175 per year :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby ADRIAN » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Its £55 everywhere here in Norfolk for MOT's - no cheap deals for us. So X 4 Viva's & one modern and then £60 for the Bedford van class, and its £335 every year for me. I would prefer the classic Viva MOT's to be needed to be done every two years, - so that two are MOT'd every year on a staggered basis. Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:02 pm

NI seems good value then at £30.50 :)
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Bob perry » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Agree that I would definitely be in favour of a regular test, of some sort, just for peace of mind really. The though of some numbskull coming towards me, or my family, in some old rattler, without being checked, doesn't bear thinking about!!

By the way, don't be taken in by the 'MOT's only £29-50' or half price scam, currently carried out by a certain , very well advertised, National Company!!

I tried it with my every day Peugeot last year and got stung. Prior to the test I went to my regular garage who have always been excellent with service and repairs, but don't do mot's. Got him to give it a pre mot look over when he serviced it, and he found all was in order with no problems.

Got the MOT done the next day at the 'half price' station. Car failed on a noisy rear wheel bearing.
It's a Wheel bearing and hub assy on those, and was quoted £150 to fix it!
I still had a week to go on the mot date, so told him I would get it done and bring it back.

Went back to my regular guy who said he couldn't find any fault, and if it was up to him wouldn't fail it.
Suggested he do it anyway, which cost me £75.

Went back to the MOT station for a re check and ticket.
Passed ok this time, but then he asked for ANOTHER £29-50.
I argued the second price, but they said that the half price deal only applies if rectification work is done at the time, and on the premises!!
Small print on the advert pointed out.

Total cost £59 for MOT and £75 for work not needed really!

Moral: Nothing comes free, and always check the small print!!

Not used that company since, or bought tyres from them, and made sure anyone I speak to is aware of this particular dealership, and their methods.
It probably won't change their advertising practise, but it makes me feel better.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes i always use one garage now. mot is £45. but he is fair and if work needs doing his hourly rate is reasonable about £40 plus the vat
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:17 am

Same here, £45 for mot, they also collect and return the vehicle :) I sent my lad's corsa in a month or so ago, it failed on a couple of bulbs , but the guy replaced them FOC and retested it and passed it before bringing it back and parking it up on my drive. That's service for you :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion