Vauxhall Epic

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Vauxhall Epic

Postby rizzo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Came across this site, its probably been posted up before but its worth a look, i think Canada got a better deal on the HB than we did.
http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... pic-canada
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Vauxhall Epic

Postby Colin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Ah yes, but at least our GTs came with SL door trims! :lol:

Note the use of HC front indicator lenses on the later Canadian HB Vivas and Epics. We didn't have those on later European HBs.

And what's the difference between an Epic and a Canadian Viva other than the badge and the grille centre divider?

Lastly, what was the purpose of the bar fixed to the front cross member? Was it some sort of tow bar?
Last edited by Colin on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby StefanM » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:45 am

I think a friend of mine have two new front panels to this model (with HC indicators). Probably ordered by mistake or similar.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:41 pm

So the difference gets a tad complicated - and there don't seem to be any records (grumble grumble)

Guy Turner puts it thusly: The difference is in the trim and finishing. Epic GTs are half deluxe half GT trim for an easy way to explain things.

As the link says, Vauxhalls were sold through Pontiac & Buick Dealers while Envoys were sold through Chevrolet & Oldsmobile dealers. I think <think!> that all GTs were sold as Epic Envoy GTs but am not 100% certain.

All GT's in Canada had 93731 as the first five digits of the VIN as opposed to 93711 in the UK. (and possibly everywhere else)

The most obvious difference other than the 4 lights is that I have a dual circuit braking system as well as two brake servos which I don't believe the UK cars had.

You could also get a 1600 engine here, with a GT badge - which I don't fully understand.

My centre console also seems different.

There were a couple of "cold weather" add ons which I could look up if people were interested. Other than that, I am not sure.

BTW HA's were also Epic!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh, and do your cars not have that bar at the front? I think it is just to protect from bumps but, have consdiered not putting it back on. It does however seem to be on all models.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:48 am

The front cross member bar never appeared on any European HBs, J.P. We still don't really know what it's for?

I've seen Guy's generally accepted description but there are one or two very slight errors with it. The Canadian GM Epic GT and Viva GT were produced under build codes 186 and 190 respectively. The Epic was designated under model code 7/31 but the Canadian GM Viva GT retained the European model code 7/11.

The two Canadian HB models, Epic and Viva, were marketed by different North American dealer networks but they were apparently identical cars offered in identical colours. The only difference I can tell would seem to be the badging and the centre divider added to the front grille of Epic models. We still don't know of any other differences?

Both Canadian HB GT models had European HB Deluxe style seats and door trim but with local safety regulation compliant head restraints, whereas European HB GTs had SL style interiors without head restraints.

I can't find any reference to any HB model having dual circuit braking although they did have power assistance. If dual circuit braking was fitted it must have been unique to Canadian GTs - which were produced only briefly for 1970 model year. In Europe we had to wait for the introduction of the HC range the following year for dual circuit braking.

I've never heard of an HB 1600 GT. There is no reference to one in the period literature or workshop manuals.

There's no difference between the Canadian HB GT centre console and the then current 1970 MY European Viva GT console - which had been amended from the earlier '68 / '69 European item by the deletion of the oil temp gauge and addition of switchgear to the console. You might have seen pictures of the earlier European console to suggest your Canadian one might be different.

Lastly, the Canadian HB is sometimes referred to in error as the 'Epic Envoy' or 'Envoy Epic'. The GM Envoy and GM Epic were actually two completely separate cars. The Envoy was an FD Victor and the Epic was an HB Viva.

This is all covered by the Vauxpedia link posted by Bill. I guess the full product & development details are either buried in a vault somewhere in Detroit (or Osborne Road, Luton) or, more likely, like NASA's blueprints for the Saturn V rocket, lost forever... :?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby StefanM » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:31 am

GT´s in sweden also have dual circuit brakes with two separate servos. Girling mastercylinder. canadian vehicles used an ATE mastercylinder (according to the parts book)
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:48 am

You and J.P are both absolutely right Stefan, I looked it up in my GT factory service manual (I don't get out much these days..) and, sure enough, left drive model GTs were indeed fitted with either a Girling or Teves tandem mastercylinder with twin vacuum servos providing dual circuit braking. :D

You would think that would have been a safety measure worth advertising in the brochures? But no, another small example of Vauxhall's unfortunate marketing incompetency of the period.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 pm

StefanM wrote:GT´s in sweden also have dual circuit brakes with two separate servos. Girling mastercylinder. canadian vehicles used an ATE mastercylinder (according to the parts book)

Stefan, could you possibly post pictures of the locations of the servos well as the location of the dual circuit? The shell I have was an SL so the holes are missing. thanks!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:23 pm

The front crossmember bar was not only fitted to HB's. I have seen and have photos somewhere of an HA van here in Northern Ireland fitted with such a bar.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to General Discussion