The 100 HP 1256

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

The 100 HP 1256

Postby Floyd » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:26 pm

First of all, apologies for the inactivity as most of my updates are done via other social media, being a young’n and all...

However this deserves its own post on the forum as I am proud to present my 1256 project for the last year or so.

Just recently I have officially broken the 100 HP barrier with my fuel injected, turbocharged 1256.
Perhaps a world first on multiple fronts?

I wanted to replicate power levels achieved in the 70s by the HB/HC racers whilst maintaining a drivable car which retained the original engine with period modifications to the internal components.

The specifications are:
•1256 block
•1256 chevette head
•Mildly ported cylinder head
•8.5:1 compression
•Standard 1256 cam
•Hollow pushrods
•Heavily worked conrods (each rod 50g lighter)
•Conrods balanced end to end to 1.5g variance
•Crankshaft, flywheel, clutch balanced to 1g variance
•Lightened flywheel (from 5.9kg to 4.9 kg)
•High pressure oil pump
•Bespoke stainless inlet manifold
•Bespoke stainless exhaust manifold
•Bespoke stainless full exhaust system
•Oil cooler
•Baffled sump
•Garrett GT1752 Turbo
•45mm Throttle Body
•Electronic Fuel Injection/engine management

I have now had this engine broken in and tuned to produce
78.9 WHP @ 5070 rpm
96 ft•lb @ 2910 rpm
This is at 5 psi boost.

This is a 75% increase on both torque and power on top of standard figures. I have posted a graph of the new engine plotted against the standard guise.

It was lovely talking with some of you at VBOA this year and showing my car again. It was great to hear your thoughts on a very unique build.
Attachments
For more regular updates see www.instagram.com/floyd.1968
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: The 100 HP 1256

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 am

Wow that seems pretty spectacular - well done. :P :respekt: Do you intent to do some hill climbs?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Floyd » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:00 am

Fred Dukes wrote:Wow that seems pretty spectacular - well done. :P :respekt: Do you intent to do some hill climbs?

Thank you Fred, and thank you for the parts you supplied me to enable this build.

Perhaps I may partake in the future, not sure of the best places to go. Do you have any preferences / recommendations?
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:22 am

Most importantly does it spin the wheels? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby cooperman » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:14 pm

Well done JP, it was great to see you and your car at Sywell, and hard to believe it was you in the same car with the "L" plates on at Market Harborough a few years ago. Superb work on the motor
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Floyd » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:28 pm

HC Fairley wrote:Most importantly does it spin the wheels? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha yes, but why would I want to?
I want to get there quick!
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Floyd » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:30 pm

cooperman wrote:Well done JP, it was great to see you and your car at Sywell, and hard to believe it was you in the same car with the "L" plates on at Market Harborough a few years ago. Superb work on the motor

Thanks.
This car has been with me from the start! Learnt to drive in it, passed test, then driven daily since, I don’t plan to stop because it’s such a great car to drive and puts a smile on everyone’s face.
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby OllieParkes » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:27 pm

A beautiful bit of engineering you've done here. Been following your insta for a while now and it always brings a smile to my face when this pops up.

As a 'young un' as well i've also been tinkering. Put a speeduino ECU on mine currently controlling the spark but in the process of going fuel injection similar to yours. I do know there is another bloke running dual 42mm throttle bodies on a link ECU which looks an interesting build.

Definitely need to see this in person though...
OllieParkes
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:00 am

You pair of guys are paid up members right? Get this in the club magazine. Send me pics and a few lines of text please.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Floyd » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:13 pm

OllieParkes wrote:A beautiful bit of engineering you've done here. Been following your insta for a while now and it always brings a smile to my face when this pops up.

As a 'young un' as well i've also been tinkering. Put a speeduino ECU on mine currently controlling the spark but in the process of going fuel injection similar to yours. I do know there is another bloke running dual 42mm throttle bodies on a link ECU which looks an interesting build.

Definitely need to see this in person though...

Hi Ollie,

Thanks very much for your compliments, feel free to give us a message on Instagram. Would definitely like to know more about the “twin 42s bloke” and speak more about my experiences with injection.
A Link ECU was a good contender for my build but decided against it due to cost.
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion