A vin question researching history.

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

A vin question researching history.

Postby LittleDave » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:43 am

I found this forum while researching my Viva HB, I have lots of paperwork history, the original purchase invoice service book, old mot certificates and every v5 that has been issued for it including the first.

I have found out it was assembled at Ellesmere Port, from a CKD from Australia and designed by Holden, and am in no doubt it is the car sold by the East London dealer.

The car is largely original as is most of the paint, and the invoice suggests it had the disc brake option from new.

The vehicle designation though is 11, not 69 as suggested by the site information, which suggests a 2 door, though it is a 4 door.

My question is, has anyone come across this before, or am I mistaken in my reading of the information ?

Dave .
LittleDave
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: A vin question researching history.

Postby StefanM » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:11 am

No they are built and made by vauxhall UK. Holden australia used parts from UK.
What is the VIN No? Does it still have the service information plate on the inner wing? Lots of three digit numbers.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby LittleDave » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:28 pm

StefanM wrote:No they are built and made by vauxhall UK. Holden australia used parts from UK.
What is the VIN No? Does it still have the service information plate on the inner wing? Lots of three digit numbers.

I will look for the service info plate during the week.

933119E278xxxx
I have every V5 issued including the first, which I took the details from, and it says Vauxhall Viva Saloon, will look at it closer next time I am at car, see if states 2 or 4 door. Only grabbed a phone pic of the chassis and engine number.
First registered 01/01/1970.
LittleDave
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:16 pm

Hi Dave,

That is strange. What is the registration of the car?

Can confirm you are reading the site information correctly.

11 = 2 Door
69 = 4 Door
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby LittleDave » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:44 pm

HC Fairley wrote:Hi Dave,

That is strange. What is the registration of the car?

Can confirm you are reading the site information correctly.

11 = 2 Door
69 = 4 Door

Yes, that is how I read it, I only had the paperwork with me, the car is in my storage, and the paperwork going, through it closely, threw up more strange things. Got to the bottom of it now though.

The original typed invoice from the Dealer, Silks of Walthamstow, states 4 door but with 11 instead of 69 as the VIN.

The service certificate in the front of the service book stated the same, but was written over to 69.

Going through old mot certs, as soon as VIN numbers were required, every one has 69, which the tester should read from the car.
Today I went to look at the car and refit the carb after rebuild, the Vin on the dash reads 69.

I can only guess that the dealer was so used to selling 2 door cars they incorrectly typed the invoice and incorrectly registered the car, to this day, and 3 previous V5,s state 11 not 69. The paperwork backs this up.

52 years and it has remained the same, there is absolutely no doubt the car is the one sold by Silks, it has never been restored, the V5,s match the original invoice, which states in was a 4 door, with extra charges for delivery, wing mirror, RFL and disc brakes, which it has.

It has had 2 owners, the first a spinster who kept it until 2016, trading in her Austin A50 from 1955 for 50 quid, It was registered, 01/01/1970 and delivered on 14/01/1970, had 13 stamps in the service book in 5 years having only done under 20k, which is strange, the service book, handbook, dealer service network book are all with it, most mot certs, it had its first in 1972, there are some service receipts and a receipt for a new exhaust in 2018, for a mighty 360 quid, several old v5,s.

I have fitted new radials, the cross ply ones looked like they had done all 42000 miles, one looked more like a motorcycle tyre, will mot it shortly and it will probably be sold, I do not want to be the one that paints it, have 3 other projects on the go, Thames 400E, 105E estate and a Hillman Avenger GT, and road legal, Manta, P6, and a Silver Shadow, cannot work on and drive them all.

It is no show pony, it is an unrestored car with plastic front wings, I have located 1 NOS steel wing that is not cheap, still looking for another, the floors and rails are original and solid, all 4 doors are very good as are boot and bonnet, the sills are original and solid,

The miles are almost certainly genuine at 42k going through the paperwork history and word of mouth between owners, but is has the wrong details on the V5 and has done since the day it was registered.
LittleDave
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby cooperman » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:42 pm

Very good, post up a pic if you can
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby LittleDave » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:31 am

cooperman wrote:Very good, post up a pic if you can

Sure, when the carb is sorted, still dribbling and off again, I will get it out and wash the dust off. Need to put a few miles on it before mot.
LittleDave
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:57 am

LittleDave wrote:
Going through old mot certs, as soon as VIN numbers were required, every one has 69, which the tester should read from the car.
Today I went to look at the car and refit the carb after rebuild, the Vin on the dash reads 69.

I can only guess that the dealer was so used to selling 2 door cars they incorrectly typed the invoice and incorrectly registered the car, to this day, and 3 previous V5,s state 11 not 69. The paperwork backs this up.

Hi Dave,

This makes sense. I had automatically assumed the stamped number on the car said 11 but If it is reading 69 and the car is a 4 door then a simple typo on the V5 when registering the car is the most plausible explanation. Glad you got to the bottom of it
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby LittleDave » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:25 pm

HC Fairley wrote:
LittleDave wrote:

Hi Dave,

This makes sense. I had automatically assumed the stamped number on the car said 11 but If it is reading 69 and the car is a 4 door then a simple typo on the V5 when registering the car is the most plausible explanation. Glad you got to the bottom of it

Yes, a mistake on the purchase invoice that was carried through to registration and has never been corrected, seems pointless to worry about it 52 years later
Not had a chance to do anything, the cheapest Rolls Royce Shadow in the world, well road legal one, has occupied my time, but now it has moved on, hoping to get the Viva mot ready over the weekend.

I have a snap of it, but not finding how to add it :(
LittleDave
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby LittleDave » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:43 pm

LittleDave
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion