Buying a Vauxhall Viva

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Buying a Vauxhall Viva

Postby Dutchviva » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:12 pm

Hello everyone here,

I'm Jean-Paul Besseling. I live in Holland, this weekend I'm going to have a look at a Vauxhall Viva HB 1967 2 doors with a 1159cc engine.
The nicest thing is that as well as my father as grandfather had exactly the same Viva in the same colour (light blue). My question is what are the weak points of this car and where should I pay attention to? Please let me know because if I buy the car you can count on a new (dutch) member.

Greetings and thanks,

Jean-Paul Besseling

PS. Want to wish everyone a happy newyear.
Dutchviva

Buying a Vauxhall Viva

Postby Sid » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:56 am

These cars are quite simple mechanically so, if all the electrics work and the car starts and drives OK with no knocks or drones
then the main thing you really need worry about is hidden rust.
Main rust areas of concern are:-
Front inner wings.
Rear inner arches where dampers are mounted.
Front chassis rails at bottom of bulkhead where subframe outriggers bolt to chassis.
Inner sills and floorpan where in joins inner sills (check all the way along)

Also check the carpets for signs of water getting in the car, as this can be a problem.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:56 pm

dont forget rear arches and lower rear quarters as there are no repair panels made any more and theyre very awkward to make a good repair that looks right!
flexbuttcheck1
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Vivanuts Glenn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:40 pm

Dont forget also rust round the front of the wings where the headlamps go too
Vivanuts Glenn
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion