Brabham Parts on eBay

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Brabham Parts on eBay

Postby Sid » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:35 pm

> I suspect that if we all want to enter a debate about this topic we are best to start a new thread
> in the General Discussion area

Mmm, having read the said article it seems to me that the whole "Brabham" thing was little more than an aftersales upgrade anyway so
why all the fuss.
Strikes me that people willing (or daft!) enough to pay over the odds for such a car are victims of their own personality same as
people who spend silly money for things like celebrity autographs and Elvis's old socks (genuine or otherwise!).

To anybody selling "fake Brabham" Vivas or "fake signed" Beatles albums or dodgy copies of the blinkin' Monalisa for that matter, I
say good luck to 'em!
Why give a sucker an even break?
A viva is a viva, a record is a record, etc. Forget the label. Never pay more than something is worth to YOU.

By the way I'm putting a piece of Meteor rock on Ebay if anybody's interested ;-)

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

brabham parts on ebay

Postby Edd_V6 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:39 pm

So what would the club recomend you tell your insurance company--You are driving a genuine Vauxhall dealer converted Brabham Viva or a "modified car".....Then there comes the agreed value bit when you have to get a valuation from some where, normally an owners club. Do they admit its a replica or lie and hope you Brabham does not get involved in an accident and you need to claim. Thats when you find out youv'e been sold a "Fake".

The Article was written purely to show people there are "Fake" Brabhams in the owners club and some people know which ones they are but just wont let on because they helped build them.

I peronally have no problem with Replicas but the new owner should be told before he parts with the cash.

Edd

(Driving a Very modified 1600OHC viva)
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Brabham Parts on eBay

Postby northern nutter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Very good point, and on that note its over to you Adrian.

Deon

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
northern nutter

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:36 pm

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a "fake" or "plastic" Brabham.
If a Viva HB has a Brabham conversion kit fitted to it, - so long as the whole kit is fitted (With the go faster stripes and nothing missing or non- genuine parts) and it is fitted to a 1159cc 90 engine, - then it is a Brabham Viva, regardless of when that kit was fitted.
It is not a"modified" car, because it was a Vauxhall approved conversion, - so there are never problems regarding insurance.
If a person out there buys such a converted car, yes, he has bought a Brabham Viva, and if that person pays extra cash for it, surely thats between the buyer and seller. If you never intend to sell your Brabham (like me) because you love it, then the monetary value of what it's worth means nothing! (just like a house, its valued only when you sell, - rest of the time it's a roof over your head!). Surely we should stop putting down our Vivas, we should be praising them up to the big wide world out there.
There was a T reg Viva sold on Ebay recently for £3,100, - for a £800 car? Someone bought it at this price because a) they had the money, b) they obvuly thought it was an investment and c) - they wanted it!
Thats their business, not for us to say ..........
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:49 pm

Oh, just another thought. The Brabham Kit was just that, a kit that you bought in a box.
At the time, your Vauxhall Dealer could buy and fit it to your car wheter the car was new or seceonhand , OR your local (Non-Vauxhall dealer) garage could also do it for you, OR you could buy the kit direct from Worcester Park works, - and fit it yourself!
It would not affect the Vauxhall warranty in any way, so long as the kit was fitted correctly. Therefore, any HB 90 with the right kit really is genuine, - regardless. I have loads of Brabham literature, including a 3 full page fitting instruction leaflet out of one of the kits, and it is all hand-typed on old style typewriter. (No computers or photocopies, you got personal service with every kit, - those were the days)
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Edd_V6 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:41 pm

So if i stuck a Brabham Kit that i bought from the Owners club on a Crayford HB SL90 then that would make it the only Genuine Crayford Brabham Viva and suddenly worth a Fortune.

I don't think that sounds right really. And if my insurance company sent a letter to the Club for a valuation on the car what would the answer be ??.

Surly if you can make a Brabham as and when you want that makes it worth far less than a GT which there are limited numbers of.
I think it just makes Genuine Brabhams worth less than they really are.

I have owned 2 Brabhams and both were genuine early 70's built by a vauxhall approved dealer. (One a 4 door with no stripes.)

Edd_V6
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Brabham Parts on eBay

Postby northern nutter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:49 pm

Ok now you have lost me. If anyone could go and by a kit then why does the sales brochure state certain colour schemes? what would have stopped someone from just buying a kit and fitting it to any HB?
If this is all true then why is there a STANDARD Deluxe HB where the only genuine Brabham parts on it are the inlet and carbs but it is listed as one of the serving Brabhams?

Deon

northern nutter

Brabham Parts on eBay

Postby northern nutter » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:09 pm

I am sorry but this has *Bleep* me of what you are saying is if i was to keep my Brabham and fully restore it would then be 100% genuine. But i was to just take the kit of it and put it on another sl it would still be the same?

Sorry that is not right!!!!!

Deon 

northern nutter

Brabham Parts on eBay

Postby Sid » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:00 am

I think the point Adrian is trying to make is that there is no such thing as a "genuine" Brabham, as it was simply an aftermarket
add-on right from the start.
If you think a particular car is worth more, then that's a deal between you and the seller, but it the end of the day its the same
car regardless of *when* the bits were "bolted on" as there's no such thing as a "factory" Brabham, otherwise it would be stated on
the V5.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Brabham Parts on eBay

Postby Sid » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:08 am

Why not? It would be an identical car created by the same means. The only difference is "when".

It's not like comparing a genuine GT to a GT clone, because in that case the difference is clear in the Registration Document, so
its a different car, whereas the "Brabham" is merely the name of the "kit" to all intents and purposes. The reg doc just says SL or
whatever in both cases.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion