Shock news, 41 year old Vauxhall passes MOT

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Shock news, 41 year old Vauxhall passes MOT

Postby 1900sr » Tue May 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Had the HC estate in this morning for it's first MOT in my stewardship, and I'm pleased to say that despite my worst fears it passed. Two advisories, one for an oil leak (it is a slant 4 after all), and a slight exhaust blow.

1900sr
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Shock news, 41 year old Vauxhall passes MOT

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue May 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Well done :P must want something to put on the form if they start putting oil leaks down :shock: I've never had an advisory on any of mine for oil leaks and they all leak oil in one place or another - you will have to get him tamed :wink: Does he usually do classics?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbpeter » Tue May 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Excellent, well done.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Tue May 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Great news. When the leak becomes a continuous automatic oil change start worrying :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Tue May 17, 2016 6:47 pm

I usually get an advisory on the Firenza for an oil leak, but I don't think it's one that can convert into a fail unless it's a safety issue, for example if they think it's leaking heavily onto the exhaust.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1900sr » Tue May 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Well done :P must want something to put on the form if they start putting oil leaks down :shock: I've never had an advisory on any of mine for oil leaks and they all leak oil in one place or another - you will have to get him tamed :wink: Does he usually do classics?

He's quite well versed in classics, although he drives the wrong make (he's got a Mk1 Capri). The last MOT had an oil leak as an advisory so maybe that's why he's listed it this time.
1900sr
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bazz100 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Congratulations! Wish my 46 year old was close to passing an MOT.

On the subject of advisories, I'd been using the same friendly garage for my MoT's for ~20 years until he suddenly closed down in 2014. He'd regularly pass my 18-year old Rover 600 with just one advisory, which is a chip on the screen which is just outside the critical area. Looking for a new place to go, I went in to a local garage and he produced a list of advisories that went on for ever; there were things on there I'd never heard of. Thank goodness I wasn't planning to sell the car. Needless to say, I didn't go back there, but the following year I went to another garage (recommended by a friend) and did not pick up one single advisory, having done no significant work on the car. There's certainly massive variability!

B
Always wear gloves at a crime scene
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby billy_bunter » Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 pm

well done on the Via passing...

Dave I had a 1256 engine lump like that
billy_bunter
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri May 20, 2016 10:32 am

Well done - it's a great feeling.

The MOT guy needs to check his regulations. That's not an oil leak it's a safety device installed by Vauxhall to provide a fine mist of anti-corrosion coating to the underside of the car. It works a treat - the bottom of mine is absolutely solid.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri May 20, 2016 7:04 pm

I can believe Vauxhall using that as new inovation :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to General Discussion