opinions on my gt i bought please

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: opinions on my gt i bought please

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 pm

p.s it's a 1970 so should it of even been a snotty looking green? Experts help needed :D
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby glenn93 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 pm

well put Colin :goodideasign:
glenn93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby GAV » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

car shown is Kevin Bond's , a friend from the Driver's Club but on Photobucket I usually use Facebook to link to that sight, as I have long since forgotten the password and on the i pad there is apparantly alink issue. Is I have a brochure from the same year my Deluxe was built, in 1969(is that Starmist Green?and one thing it wouldnt have is a black bonnet, the Wolfrace wheels were a popular 70s period mod.
Last edited by GAV on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

jamezz666 wrote:p.s it's a 1970 so should it of even been a snotty looking green? Experts help needed :D

Lots of older cars were made one year, sit in a dealers and finally registered the next year.

I agree with Colin, your car is rare, will sell easily, and is on a par with any of the sporting Vauxhalls of the era which, if you can find a complete un-restored one, will command a premium price.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

jamezz666 wrote:p.s it's a 1970 so should it of even been a snotty looking green? Experts help needed :D

Elkhart yellow (snot green) was discontinued after 1969 MY. So yours is a Goodwood Green Mk II, James. That makes, I think, three known examples(?) Yours, the one pictured above GRB66H, and Colin Robbins' car, ORO526H.

The chassis number will commence 937110E (or possibly 937119E). As a MK II car the chassis number will be in a 'tamper proof' tag set into the left side of the dash top behind the windscreen.

Back in 1982-83 I owned ORO526H. I sold it to Colin Robbins (a fellow Vauxhall engineering department apprentice). At the time ORO was in a far worse state than UDP154H is now. For many years now ORO526H has been immaculately restored and, along with our restoration projects, is one of only half a dozen or so known UK MK II Viva GTs.

Here's a short film and a still image sequence of ORO526H driving in Switzerland while leased back to Vauxhall Motors in 2015 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwuatWlMsDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN44iVfLwKQ

(Strictly speaking ORO526H shouldn't have chrome wheel embellishers or chrome bonnet vent trims. It should have a matt black finish to the rear panel between the tail lights, and also it has SL door card pads - but this is being more than a little picky! :lol: )
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GAV » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:22 am

Green GT belongs to a friend and looks darker in the flesh,he has spent a shedload on it a former shed to get it to such a high standard-in fact he reckons he stopped counting and has no idea just how much
ImageImage
Seen next to my Pampas Green HB Deluxe at Stonard Barns circa 2014, there was an earlier Blue Mark one GT behind with incidentally Wolfrace slots as the stock jobs were steel with plastic trims and faux wheel nuts in a cheap attempt to look alloy like.

I have an original Motor Mag comparison test of a Green Viva GT (circa 1969 before the HC superceded the B, in 1970,compared to a Mark 2 Vitesse saloon also discontinued in 1970(as I had a Mark One 2 litre Triumph convertible)
Last edited by GAV on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:38 am

1.35am in the morning and i've just got back from the my unit after finishing making up the down pipe to fit my replacement manifold for the gt! i'm determined to have it moted in a couple weeks time! i know it sounds short in time, but i really am going to go flat out, so hopefully i can get it to a show this year, even if it doesn't look to great.

off to bed in a minute as i need to be up in 5 hours and then about 10am i'll be fitting the exhaust, so once i'm done i'll get a video of it running and post it on youtube with a link :D

Also the logbook shows the vin number to be 93710E and the previous owner was a Ian Stuart Robinson from Northampton.

keep you all updated tomorrow after iv'e got the exhaust fitted and had a little spin in it :D
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 am

At least you have some re-assurance that you have not bought a pup :lol: You got it off your chest and now the only way if forward :P If you want a recon 2l short engine for it and a load if OHC engine parts look at Nick Morgan's post on our facebook group :goodideasign:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby StefanM » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:36 pm

There is more to it depending on chassis number as well. My GT is a 1969 and a MK 1 1/2 if you should be precise. Some early features as close ratio gearbox, quadruple exhaust but also some newer.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm

ok guys and girls

today has given me a whole load of poop... but i tell you what... i took her outside just for a little go and and and i didn't want to get out of it :lol: i actually love the car :D

on a different note.. the twin exhaust is home made and out of a million different pieces, also it is scrap.
My replacement manifold has a crack which i later found out after fitting it.
the over drive wires to switch was bonded and i only found out when i try'd reverse and it wouldn't do nout and all of a sudden puffs of smoke from the gear lever :shock: then the handbrake lever was wedged half on so the brakes was half on :roll:

but yeah.. i sorted the handbrake, temporary removed the overdrive switch and had a drive to which it was amazing :D best thing all year that :D
video below was before i lowered the tick over, so it's fairly high and also just showing the current paint and the old paint in the boot.
would anyone know why there would be loads of smoke from the exhaust and steam from the rocker cover pipe? i had it running for about an hour at temp (which was slightly under 70 degrees)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlT6kwoyBI
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion