diameter of gt exhaust pipe?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

diameter of gt exhaust pipe?

Postby jamezz666 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 am

Hello everyone

would anyone happen to know the diameter of pipe used on the gt viva? as i'm looking to make a twin exhaust for my mk2, but i wouldn't know if i would be safe with 2" diameter or if that maybe a tad too big?

Thanks
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: diameter of gt exhaust pipe?

Postby 1972nail » Sun May 14, 2017 10:44 am

The original exhaust was probably 1 1/2" max. 2" will flow enough for at least 250bhp and below 150 bhp the gas speed will probably be on the low side. Below about 100 bhp and 2" is definitely too big.

If you are splitting the exhaust into two then the gas speed will be higher in the bit before the split, 2" should be just OK on a standard engine. After the split the gas volume will be halved so 2" will be too big. I'd go for 1 3/4" throughout to keep it simple.

The manifold pipes should not be larger than 1 1/2".
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jamezz666 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:31 pm

I did have it in mind that 2" maybe a bit to big, so i'll go with 1" 3/4. Hopefully i can find a Y piece on ebay in a size roughly to 1" 3/4. The home made twin exhaust on the car really isn't great at all, as it looks like someone took a single straight pipe and welded a separate pipe at a sharp angle and i could only imagine it would've effected running in some way? i'm no expert i just assume :lol:
Thanks for your help
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby glenn93 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:24 pm

when people talk about exhaust size are talking internal or external ?
glenn93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 pm

glenn93 wrote:when people talk about exhaust size are talking internal or external ?

I assume internal as that's what I go by...
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion