MoT Question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

MoT Question

Postby AccieMad » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Does anybody know when any announcement of removal of MoT for pre '77 cars is likely to be made?

http://workshopmagazine.co.uk/2016/09/3 ... fore-1977/

GT
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: MoT Question

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Hopefully never! Think of all those rust heap 'barn finds' that could be potentially on our roads in the hands of idiots who think they are Lewis Hamilton......
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby kriswalsh » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:04 pm

I've heard it's been delayed until after brexit.
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AccieMad » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Ok Thanks,

I agree that it is better to keep a test of some kind in place.

GT
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:20 pm

That would be scary. Imagine my HB driving about :shock:
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:24 pm

I filled in the online survey about this when it was raised, though there are more useful questions that didn't form part of the survey as I recall. I got an email fairly recently saying that no progress was being made while the EU exit was under way.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby edgoose1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Think the whole MOT is a con. The system in South Africa is better. You Mot a car when you buy it they call it a road worthy test. It lasts as long as you own the car. But of cause police have the right to stop any car and do spot checks and the right to impound any car that does not meet.legal requirements. Yes sure there are those that won't upkeep thier cars but people are still driving round here without an MOT. Plus an MOT does not mean a car is maintained. And cars up to 3 years so not need an MOT... so high mileage cars can rack up over 60000 miles in that years. More than some Vivas have done in 40 years
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:37 pm

The system here in N Ireland is much better than the mainland IMO. We have Gov run MOT stations which only test vehicles, no repairs are carried out. There are no 'advisories' just Pass or Fail. Each test takes 15 min from start to finish but needs to be booked about 4 weeks in advance because of demand. The system is totally independent from garages so there is less risk of being asked to do work that is un-necessary. As a result, cars are usually well prepared and clean when presented to obtain a first time pass as re-tests can take up to 3 weeks to book.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby GAV » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Ironically my HB's near side rear wheel locked solid during its brake test on the roller. The tester tried to free it off however they kindly agreed to abort the test fee free.
I did manage to get it home but was going on motorbike trips to Ireland, for the NW200, then to Scotland for the NW500run.
however after that and the arrival of two new Pistons care of EBay (£16 inc)and new copper lines with olives/banjos made up by a local garage for a tenner,I booked another test at the garage in Manningtree and she repassed with the advice my wiper blades were shot, somewhat underlined by torrential downpours en route home that even new rubbers (and a new motor a couple of years back)would have struggled with.

I am in favour of having my old Viva tested even if the MOT were abolished for it age related status,particularly if you find the testers fair, and although I do not live in Manningtree now took my bikes there too, as they are that,unfortunately their bike tester left so I was forced to use the local place instead"least said soonest mended"

I can understand in such circumstances the temptation might be not to bother, however the bikes aren't that old even so I would still think the test necessary.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 pm

1972nail wrote:The system here in N Ireland is much better than the mainland IMO. We have Gov run MOT stations which only test vehicles, no repairs are carried out. There are no 'advisories' just Pass or Fail. Each test takes 15 min from start to finish but needs to be booked about 4 weeks in advance because of demand. The system is totally independent from garages so there is less risk of being asked to do work that is un-necessary. As a result, cars are usually well prepared and clean when presented to obtain a first time pass as re-tests can take up to 3 weeks to book.

This apart from the demand issues sounds like a great idea. Personally I hate the advisory system,It's fishing for jobs in my view. A vehicle should pass or fail with no other considerations. Having said that, I firmly believe that some form of testing is vital. Even the most fastidious of owners could miss a serious fault or worse, ignore it.
Regards,Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion