Is there many people after HB Panels?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Is there many people after HB Panels?

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Just a thought.....The Morris Minor has a vast amount of repair panels available and quite a few vendors. I wonder who presses their's. Would it be worth contacting Bull Motif Spares as they seem to be quite active in sourcing new products in the repair panel line for quite a few UK BMC cars, not just Minors? They might branch out into something better...... :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm

1972nail wrote:Just a thought.....The Morris Minor has a vast amount of repair panels available and quite a few vendors. I wonder who presses their's. Would it be worth contacting Bull Motif Spares as they seem to be quite active in sourcing new products in the repair panel line for quite a few UK BMC cars, not just Minors? They might branch out into something better...... :D

If only the panels was as easy to get hold of like the minor panels 8). I'm sure Bull Motif is only down the road from me (Evesham) but i'll assume there not going to be the ones that make the panels?
I did find this place https://www.classicmetalshaping.co.uk/ and they sound like there more than capable of making panels up and "restore existing panels to high quality"
Also to add to the list of panels i would happily provide to be reproduced, i have a couple of 4 Door Sills and 1 or 2 rain/drip panels
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:29 pm

I spoke to the company today who were very helpful and informative, the good news is it is all something that can be done, its just a matter of having enough punters to want the panels. as the cost of tooling and finishing is in the ball park figure of 3.5k (assume + vat) a run of 50 repairs arch panels as a for instance would give a return of 5K selling at £100 for an example, tooling cost is for ONE arch and not a pair.
The bad news is that the donor panel will be lost in the process so that may change someones offer :(
So whats the most popular panel on a HB and is it likely to sell a minimum of 50 each side to recoup your costs and add some into the club, assuming the club would be interested, i'm assuming the run number may be bought down somewhat with further discussion but you have to remember the price is ball park and any issues will need rectifying to make the pressing perfect, all at extra cost.
The rights to the mold would belong to the owners club and the company would not produce any or sell any away from the club.
I think it would be a good idea if the club committee have a meeting about this and decide what they would like to do if anything, could this be financed by the club or would the owners members contribute to the production with lets say a discounted product at the end of it.
I would guess that alot of members dont bother to use the forum and also non members that will not become aware of this, so perhaps a mention in the magazine or even on social media might be an idea later along the line.
Whats everyone thoughts?

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm

My thoughts are that as we start to discuss costs, what decisions that need to be made, and who finances the actions if any we need to move the gist of this thread to a more private members only area of the forum.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:53 pm

agreed, maybe move this thread to members only
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby glenn93 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 pm

what size of panel can they do would they be able to make a front wing ?
glenn93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:52 pm

From the website it appears that wing size panels are possible.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamezz666 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:41 am

How do you move a thread to members only? I still don't have the full grasp on this site :lol:
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:25 pm

1972nail wrote:From the website it appears that wing size panels are possible.

I'd think it wasn't the size that caused a problem doing wings - I was struggling to get my head around how their press would deal with pressing something like the rain channel. Of course, that would be a relatively simple part to make separately and fit later, would certainly be better to have a new wing without that and have to add it, than have no wing.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:16 pm

They said the wings could be done but if it had the headlamp panel attached it would be more work involved, so im guessing it would need to be taken off.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion