MOT exemption

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: MOT exemption

Postby 1972nail » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:27 pm

I think I read somewhere that a 15% increase in power to weight ratio will constitute substantially modified. A BVH, 4X cam and Dellortos with a decent exhaust will probably make a 2300 'substantially modified. I'm glad mine was done before 1988......
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby rizzo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:39 pm

So everyone with a modded car over 40 years old that wont pass the 8 point or biva will be claiming the mods were done pre 1988 i guess, this will be interesting, i wonder what proof they will request?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GAV » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 pm

edgoose1 wrote:I note they say even if your car will be MOT exempt, you can still voluntary MOT it. Not a bad idea to have the brakes tested on rollers and other eye to look at the structure.
The rear cylinder on one of my Viva's brakes actually locked solid on the Tester at the MOT centre, fitted new seals either side , got congratulated on the total lack of rust underneath , guy said the wipers were shot,not an advisory on the ticket( I knew that so got new ones off The Internet) so even if its scrapped I will still take the old Viva for an MOT as it is far too easy to overlook faults like my brake cylinders.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:41 pm

rizzo wrote:So everyone with a modded car over 40 years old that wont pass the 8 point or biva will be claiming the mods were done pre 1988 i guess, this will be interesting, i wonder what proof they will request?

In the case of engine size increases I would suggest that the date the tax book was altered to show the change would be in their records.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 pm

GAV wrote:I will still take the old Viva for an MOT as it is far too easy to overlook faults like my brake cylinders.

I had a similar experience this year where one rear brake was down on power and there was an imbalance, not enough to fail but enough to investigate. Turned out to be a lazy self adjuster, a bit of a free up was all it needed. I wouldn't have spotted that particular fault until it had developed much further and the pedal travel had increased to be noticeable and possibly unacceptable but still relatively safe.

Someone who is less aware of the mechanical operation of their car probably wouldn't have noticed it until braking efficiency had been seriously impaired and become dangerous.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 pm

rizzo wrote:i wonder what proof they will request?

None, as I understand it - it will be down to the owner to make a declaration that either the power hasn't increased by more than 15%, or that it was done before 1988.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to General Discussion