MOT exemption

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

MOT exemption

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 pm

I received an email today re. the proposals to exempt older vehicles from MOT testing.

The report is https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... c-interest

I'm sure many on here will receive it but just in case you didn't take part in the consultation hopefully the above will provide access to the proposals. Not sure where they stand in terms of becoming legislation.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: MOT exemption

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Nice one Paul -stripping to the bear bones it would seem:-
The Government has decided to proceed with the exemption for all vehicles constructed or first registered more than 40 years ago, on a rolling basis, as proposed in the consultation document.

Substantial Change
. We have produced a modified definition of ‘Substantial Change’ based on DVLA’s rule and propose to include it in guidance which will be finalised before the regulations come into force. A copy of this in draft is annexed to the response (CANT FIND IT!)
It is recognised that guidance may need to vary slightly in the case of motorcycles as some of the common features for cars are not present on bikes. Accordingly a slightly different definition of “substantial change” will be used for motorcycles. This will also be published.
We have decided that we will consider only modifications made since 1988 when determining whether a vehicle has been substantially altered and thus not exempt from testing

We will introduce secondary legislation to enact these changes as soon as possible.[b] The changes will come into effect from 20 May 2018.
We will discuss with stakeholders the precise formulation of the guidance on substantial change and this will be published once the legislative phase is completed. [/b]
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Here's the bit you missed Fred

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf

Looks like anyone who modifies a Historic vehicle will not be exempt in all cases.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm

That leaves things a bit open ended. Can I assume that if its on the original reg it is ok - it looks more like it is up to the owner to decide from AA guidelines :imsmiling: Shouldn't expect clear way forward from government guidlines :roll: :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:37 pm

I think you're right Fred, the owner decides..... When was the Barron fitted with the V8?.....1987?..... :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby edgoose1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 pm

How will this affect a car on Sorn. for example its off the road now but i want to put it on the road tomorrow ?
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:02 am

The new legislation doesn't come into effect until May 2018, so it won't make any difference at all to putting a car back on the road tomorrow.

Fast-forward to next year, and I'd imagine what happens is you just go to the PO and tax the vehicle for free, then it goes back on the road. Their computer system will need to know that it should not check for MOT when the vehicle is MOT-exempt, though I'd expect another "flag" on the system because it cannot just check to see whether it's VED-exempt and use the same rule.

I'll ask around, I'm in a local forum group that has a lot of pre-60 vehicle owners, so I guess it'll be whatever they have to do now. But different, because pre-60 doesn't have any of the "not modified" conditions attached.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:08 am

Who knows David could have been before 88 :goodideasign: - think I will just keep my head down 8) :lol:
If your on SORN Carl and you want to put it back on the road currently you will need the usual MoT and Insurance. Presumably when the legislation is passed and implemented and your car was built before 1978 you will only need Insurance :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby edgoose1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 am

I note they say even if your car will be MOT exempt, you can still voluntary MOT it. Not a bad idea to have the brakes tested on rollers and other eye to look at the structure.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am

Usual Government bodge as far as I can see!!

What constitutes " substantially changed from the original". Does putting a 1256 engine in to a HA for example, or a V8 squeezed, or a mazda engine, in to an HC or Firenza count as modified.
What about Disc brake conversions or bigger/ fatter wheels?
Who is responsible for checking anyway??

I voted for continued MOT checks, just for peace of mind and safety reasons, and I will continue to do so, but I'm just watchful for all those old 'sheds' that might suddenly appear on the roads!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion