Non Viva question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Non Viva question

Postby mazzo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Well.... it's almost a Viva in an absurd kind of way. A Chevrolet Aveo, which in some parts of the world is sold as a Chevrolet Viva.... I ask here because I know there's a lot of us who are old school and this is such a basic car, apart from FWD, it isn't technically that much different.

I had a new clutch put in. The pedal now is so light it is almost like it's not connected to anything. Like our Vivas, it is a cabled clutch and it's a 1.2 engine. The biting point is really high and the clutch is almost on or off. It's my daughter's car and she finds it hard to drive - as do I. My wife has the same car, so it's easy to compare - and there isn't any comparison!

I've tried to adjust it but if I slacken it off to lower the biting point, it just makes the cable loose and then you can't engage gears easily. Tighten it and it slips. In fact, if you rest your foot against the pedal and are in a low gear, it will slip.

It's actually no different to how it was before i had the clutch changed other than it is mega light to push down.

The other stupid thing that happened was the garage "eased up the gear selector" - which in reality translates as: put it in gear and the gear lever moves around so much, you think it's in neutral. Not happy. Paid £400 for actually making my car worse.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I'm thinking the pressure plate is naff (or possibly even the old one)

Ta!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Non Viva question

Postby jpsmit » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 am

Sounds like a trip back to the shop is in order.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby StefanM » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:50 am

I am amazed that there is allowment for adjustment at all.............Most new cars if cable operated have self adjustment cables. If you replace anything you just release the cable and press the pedal and that is it.
If it is manual adjustment it is for shure only the pedal height as most modern cars has constant contact bearings, ie no play so to say. Just applied with a weak spring or something. If so you just adjust the pedal height.
You can not in any circumstance adjust any odd behaviour if something is faulty. It should always have free play backwards so the cluch can wear. If you adjust it to tight it will wear out very quick.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks Stefan

I agree. It is a very basic car and is not particularly advanced. You are right about the cable adjustment, it is more about pedal levelling. Just like a Viva cable, there's a threaded end and nut.

The biting point however is just so high, that it is almost no different to how the clutch was before it was replaced. A tiny bit of foot pressure (ie leaving your foot on the pedal) can cause it to slip in high gears under strain. Biggest issue is that the daughter whose car it is says she now finds it difficult to drive and my other daughter who is taking her test (this morning actually) says she simply cannot drive it as you can't easily find biting point and when you do, the biting point to full engagement is tiny. So it's almost on or off.

I drove it on Sunday and was really shocked at how crud it is.

Going to take it back but the mechanic thinks it's great!!! Whatever he did to the gear linkage (which again he thinks is great) has really made gear selection so sloppy that even I was putting it into 3rd thinking it was first.

Driving this car and my wife's (exactly same car and age) is chalk and cheese.

How to mess up a car....... If I had the time, I wish I'd have done it myself.

Cheers

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion