Viva GT owners handbook

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Viva GT owners handbook

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:59 am

1972nail wrote:
jamezz666 wrote:
... wasn't there an injection model of the victor made? i'm sure i read somewhere near to the end of production they made some injection models, but only a hand full are still alive. Because i wonder if the set up on that would be a good one to copy.

Good luck with your car and i'll keep watch on your progress :D

I've seen 1 photo of a injected VX/E engine a number of years ago but can't seem to find any now. I believe Silver Bullet had Bosch K-Jetronic injection at a time in it's development. However both the Bosch and Lucas systems are very outdated and difficult to repair or tune properly. So I'll be taking my own spin on the injection front but still not having it look like a load of modern bits bolted on for the sake of making it look flash.

As Colin says, performance increases are possible with a properly managed engine. Points, mechanical advance and carbs are really very crude devices and you really only get in the ball park with them as far as engine efficiency is concerned. If truth be told I'll be happy to get it running!

I also have a Blydenstien big valve head and a VF2 cam to fit so that's where the performance will really improve and benefit from better control of ignition and fuel.

This is not a Vauxhall engine but shows the type of layout I have planned for mine. Long inlet runners, plenum chamber and a single throttle body.

SAAB engine.jpg

well i'll make sure to keep my eyes peeled! as this will probably be one of the most interesting follow ups for me there has been. Maybe some point in the future, i'll do the same.. just my biggest problem.. i wouldn't have a clue where to start with an ECU :lol: i shouldn't be thinking about any of this yet... i'm far off from having my car close to the road :lol:

I know parts are hard to come by, but say if i was to eventually have my cylinder head ported/polished/bigger valves, would the twin strombergs still be good to use? as them twin weber inlets seem a right old bugger to find!
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Viva GT owners handbook

Postby 1972nail » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

The Strombergs are difficult to tune from standard spec. Coburn Improvements, the rally development side of DTV in the 60's and early 70's, much preferred 2" SU's to Webers or Dellortos as they would give almost as much top end power but much more mid range flexibility, just what a rally engine needed. They are much easier to tune than the Strombergs as alternative needles and springs are readily available. They also fit onto the twin Stromberg manifold without too much trouble.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Previous

Return to General Discussion