headlamp and wiper Switch wiring

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

headlamp and wiper Switch wiring

Postby OUL 735 L » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi All

have put wiring harness back into my firenza, I did not remove it and am stumped how to wire the headlight and wiper switch.

single wiper switch 3 wires and double headlight switch 3 wires.

whilst I can figure out which wires go to each switch, i notice on the rear of the switches there are numbers.

wiper switch 7, 2, 4.

headlight witch 8, 7, 4.

Anyone know which wire goes to each number terminal as dosn't look as though wiring diagrams give that info

Thanks Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: headlamp and wiper Switch wiring

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 am

Does this help?

If not, post a bit more info on dash type, age etc.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby OUL 735 L » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Good Evening

Many thanks Mike

Just come out of the garage, plugged switches in,

Wiper motor working fine and power to the starter sloenoid (Clicking), Have got front side lights and all rear lights, except brake lights am guessing these along with indicators will only work when the dash is fitted,

I had an odd headlamp and one main beem, but now nothing unless I put a live feed direct,(fuses look ok) I would have thought these would work without dash, but maybe wrong, anybody got any feedback/thoughts??

Also Mike do you have the same wiring info for the Blower and rear screen switches

Very Grateful Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm

How about this? From the same manual, hope it's readable.

Brake lights only work when the ignition is on, I'm pretty sure, but come via the switch on the pedal box rather than the dash specifically. Headlamp issue sounds more like bad earths, again I'm not sure dash alters anything but the column switch would of course need to be there as they feed through that to decide whether to go to dip or main beam. Also the thermal overload thingy in the drivers footwell.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby OUL 735 L » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi All

Thanks for the wiring information Mike, would have been stuck otherwise.

The rear stop lights not working with ignition on, will take a live to the pedal switch to see if it is the switch is broken.

Anyone know if the overload thingy in the drivers footwell has cut out/in does it reset when cold or do I have to replace.

Thanks

Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:30 pm

The headlamp thermal overload thing is a bimetallic strip - as soon as the load is removed, it cools down and "resets" itself, so if your headlamps went out, they'll come back on after a short while.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby OUL 735 L » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi
Just had a look, still no headlights

Will have another look probably the weekend
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby dann01 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 am

Good luck with the wiring of the switches...

When you have found which wires are for which, and they work, when it comes to placing the dash pad in, and reconnecting the switches, you will find that the wires on the harness are very tight... ie, short. I's a pain.

Having had to do this, and had to replace switches before now, I have a suggestion... make up short 4 or 6 inch long wire harness patches for the ends of the wires to connect to the switches. This will give you all the room you need to pull the switches from the dash and replace if needed later.

As I said, just a suggestion.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby OUL 735 L » Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Good Afternoon

Think I may actually do what you suggest as i have a spare butchered harness so should be able to keep the original colours and only have to solder male ends on.

may be a month or so away, will post pics when I get round to it

Thanks

Ian
OUL 735 L
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to General Discussion