MoT question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

MoT question

Postby AccieMad » Sun May 20, 2018 11:34 am

My car was first registered in march 1970. MoT expires July 2018.

Am I correct in thinking I need do nothing and it won't need an MoT this year. I will just tax and declare in March 2019?

Just to be sure.

Thanks
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: MoT question

Postby edgoose1 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:17 pm

I have a similar Mot expiry in June. I am going to the post office this week with the Log Book to ask. I think we have to make a declaration that the car is not modified.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AccieMad » Sun May 20, 2018 2:58 pm

OK thanks for the information.

I think this may be the form but it does say presented when taxing etc. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf

Can you please let me know how you get on.

Thanks
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Yes and let me know how you get on. Its interesting as it was on the form present this when taxing. But before you could Mot a car before taxing.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Sun May 20, 2018 9:06 pm

From today, you can tax your car, with no MOT needed. You do not need to go to a post office with the V112 form, it can all be done online. If your car is currently SORN, you can go to DVLA website to tax the car. You need your V5C to hand, type in the reg number and fill in the box with the reference number from the V5C. Up will come detalis of the car, along with a note to say that it has detected that the car does now qualify to be MOT exempt. Tick the box to "declare" that the car is not modified, and hey presto, the car is now taxed, with no fee and no MOT required. You can tax the car and declare that its MOT exempt even if the car is currently off the road.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 am

https://vehicletax.service.gov.uk/

Yes correct Adrian. Happy days link above :)
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 am

I filled the form in and took it to a post office on saturday, they didn't look at the form, just scanned my log book and issued the tax. Very straight forward...

So, does this mean that any overtly modified cars will be picked up straight away if it has been declared on the log book? I would think so . . . I'd be interested to find out how others have got on with taxing their legally declared modified cars.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 am

As with the original question, what if your MOT is due before your Tax?, it seems a bit confusing or probably the easiest way is to sorn the car a few days when not required and then tax it again with the MOT declaration.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I taxed my Viva April for May, being 1969 it says Historical Vehicle but as she is MOTd to June do I still have to get an MOT till next year.
I went to a show yesterday and a friend with an ESeries Velox said he wanted to pick my brain, as he had to fill in a form with his 50s car for the pre 60s now former exemption but had (like me)taxed his 60s Jag for May, so did he need a form, another friend with a 60s Cresta said no its MOT free day!

It seems this aspect is causing some confusion and could it result in vehicles being unknowingly driven illegally?

I just followed a link above and it just said after typing in the Viva details, your car is not due to be taxed till 01/05/2018 and clearly declares Historical Vehicle.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm

It seems there is some some confusion when there is actually nothing to worry about.

As from Sunday the 20th - ALL pre-1978 cars became MOT exempt, it all happened automatically.

So if you are seen by the cops or ANPR cameras, it is automatically flagged up as the car that they see is MOT exempt, - it will not flag up as your current MOT runs to June or will run out whenever date. All that has not happened, is that you have not yet declared the car with the DVLA as not being seriously unmodified in order to qualify to keep that MOT exemption. This is a legal declaration, you simply make a tick in the box which is regarded as an electronic signature. This is done when the car is next taxed, so everyone has a year in which to make that unmodified declaration. But the car is already MOT exempt. If you feel unsure about it or dont trust the system about driving the car, - maybe its because you are worried that the cops might make a mistake? - you can simply to go to DVLA online now and declare the car as SORN. Give it a while, go back say next day, or the following week and go back online to the DVLA again, with your V5C document to hand, and re-tax it, and the unmodified declaration tick box is then done at this time and the car is confirmed as MOT exempt. (which it already is anyway!) and you then have piece of mind. You can have the historic tax confirmation sent to you via email, but there is no email confirmation about it being MOT exempt......because it already is !!! .
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion