VBOA back at Billing for 2019???

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: VBOA back at Billing for 2019???

Postby pbottomley » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

I remain of the opinion that the MH shows had some fantastic ideas

MH had no cars racing around, a good selection of food stalls, and all day music / commentary.

Billing has monopoly of food, pikies, *Bleep* hole toilets and flood risks
pbottomley

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 pm

I'd agree that it's the management rather than the venue itself that realised it has made a mistake and is now trying to win people back. I'd like to presume that whatever the financial agreements are between the VBOA and the venue (presumably there is money paid to hold the event there), there are some serious incentives on the table to tempt the show back there - maybe they could drop the £10 a person a day charge. My only concern would be that they've made a poor decision before, and implemented it badly, and might do again. Let's hope not.

I thought the comment about committee members having a duty to attend was a bit off. I'm not a member of the VVOC, but I know that committee members in the clubs I *am* in do all sorts of stuff, all the year round, and attending one weekend show isn't necessarily going to be something they can do. Let's not make them feel bad about whether they choose to do it or not.

I didn't go to Market Harborough for various reasons, while I'd like to have brought the recent restoration down there it was a bit too long of a journey at that stage. Sounds like I might have missed my chance. That said, I didn't go to Billing very often, as for me it's no more than "OK" at best.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:19 pm

I agree Mike, Committee members and many other helpers do put quite a few hours behind the scenes, it's not all about going to events, it's a personal decision to attend whatever shows they wish, Club stand or not. As I said, I hopefully will be going to support the Club, enjoy the show, spend some cash and meet old and hopefully new friends and not feel duty bound to do so.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Looks like Premier Inn outside Billing Aquadrome has got wind of this too, I looked at prices last night, they were £95 Saver, or £130 Flex....today those prices are....£218 Saver, and £224 Flex...that is some hike in prices. Guess I ain't staying there!!
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Well Mitch you are getting more response on the Forum that you were complaining was getting staid - as you told me in one of your other post when I suggested that maybe you would like to join the Committee - " we wouldn't welcome your grumpy old mans persona on the committee" - so perhaps defining what is our duty as committee members would get more respect if there was some background on your part of being there and been party to keeping a Club on the road. No doubt we Committee members will do what we can to be present for the VBOA National next year and look forward to seeing you over the weekend and your attendance of our AGM.
Of close on 300 members we probably expect 30 - 50 members over the weekend and maybe get 20 (including Committee members) at the AGM - 7% of the membership :roll: - it must be that most are happy with their Club and the way it is run 8)
Your experience of the Vauxfest was good as it was little increase in footfall thus facilities were probably little stretched beyond the norm for a Hoe Seasons Leisure park. When you put a few more thousands on the park for what was the VBOA National Rally there is a need to increase the capacity of facilities - in the past it is that definition of what is considered adequate which was quite often what was in despute :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby pbottomley » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:" we wouldn't welcome your grumpy old mans persona on the committee"

How the hell did i get here?
pbottomley

Postby 1972nail » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 pm

BobbyMel wrote:Looks like Premier Inn outside Billing Aquadrome has got wind of this too, I looked at prices last night, they were £95 Saver, or £130 Flex....today those prices are....£218 Saver, and £224 Flex...that is some hike in prices. Guess I ain't staying there!!

Probably the increase in bookings has triggered some algorithm somewhere that automatically hikes the price. Good job I got in early. I went for the Flex just in case plans change.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Just booked Premier Inn 3 mile away for £76 saver rate..
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby lord13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:36 am

Ahem.... I see an apology is in order, In my defence I spout *Bleep* on a daily basis.... I could 'flower' it up a bit and try to worm out of it but no, it's there in black and white... i spout *Bleep* on a daily basis.

Although... I will point out that what i should have said was that committee members should be seen to support such events because they are members in high standing within the club, They do not have to attend, and in some cases I guess they can't , not everyone can attend every show, but rather they should be seen to support all events that are attended by the club as a whole and leave their socio-political stance out of it, because they are committee members.

Which is of course just my opinion, and, by my own standards, I guess I should have kept it to myself.... :oops:

I caused offence with an Ill-thought comment and I apologise.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:52 am

Fred Dukes wrote:as you told me in one of your other post when I suggested that maybe you would like to join the Committee - " we wouldn't welcome your grumpy old mans persona on the committee" - so perhaps defining what is our duty as committee members would get more respect if there was some background on your part of being there and been party to keeping a Club on the road.

Ahh...yeah.... well.. there is a reason I wouldn't join the committee or especially attend the AGM.... They'd be no point as I wouldn't say anything at all... You're all good mates with each other and all, or most, of you have a long standing within the club, y'all know each other quite well, and get along just fine right? it's a bit of the viva club 'old guard' that had it's nucleus born within the old club when Adrian ran it, it was kind of a closed shop back then and still has that feel now, I just wouldn't feel welcome, I'd feel uncomfortable...despite any assurances to the contrary .... I'm sure it's nothing like that anymore but that's how it is with me, so I say my *Bleep* on here and that's about it.
I attend shows but only talk to people I absolutely have to because ... wel.. i just don't feel comfortable talking to people I don't know in a group situation, I can just about manage 'one on one' if I don't know you... but more than that and I clam up...or babble incomprehensibly...... it's an affliction I try to avoid as often as possible....
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion