A slight deviation from the Viva Norm

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: A slight deviation from the Viva Norm

Postby VampireTigger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:That's a thought :lol: - Might not go down too well - Bedford CA on the VVOC Stand especially owned by the Chairman :P

Morgan Motor Company bought a Routemaster Bus to use at events as their events unit, I can see you using this for similar purposes for the club ;)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36 am

The Bedford Aristocrat has arrived home after an exciting adventure on Sunday. Colin Barrett was kind enough to drive me down to Leighton Bussard.
We set off at about 9.30 and arrived at the pick up venue around Noon - and there she was - her name is Gladis - in all her glory just waiting to get started. After a comfort break, a top up of coffee, confirmation that petrol had been topped up and exchange of paperwork we set off - me on a baptism of fire with column change (not driven one before :roll: ) , the handbrake on the right hand side and the starter button on the floor behind the left leg.
After a while I did manage to get from 1st - to 2nd - followed by 3rd :P All went well and we stopped off for a sandwich and another comfort break in glorious sunshine.
Set off again and just after getting on the M6 and getting close to J1 there was a spluttering and a cough and Gladis had had enough :shock:
Managed to coast and finally push her into a layby on the slip road - no obvious problem other than could have run out of petrol - 50 miles on 8 gallons of petrol - NO! - called AA - see you in 50 minutes - Traffic Police came and had a chat and declared the engine was blown having looked at the oil dribbling along the engine mounts (what you expect from a 60 year old vehicle ?) anyway Colin decided to do something so went off to find petrol (Traffic P said there was a Tesco just of the junction.

Colin returned with petrol - tried to start and yes that's the problem - so much for the " filling up" before we picked it up - drove to the Tesco station and filled with 9 gallons!
Off again and approaching Junction of A38 the red light came on - up the slipway and check - so I thought! - A38 is Aston Express Way! no where to stop! - 1 mile latr and temp going throughthe roof found a service road to an estate which was our home for the next hour or so :imsmiling:
Fan belt shredded - no spare - call AA - he arrived with a odd selection of fan belts which did not fit and Colin would not lend me his tights so we settled for the Recovery truck which just happened to be round the corner.
Loaded and off we set for the last 40 miles - arrived home at 8.00 - just over 7 hours - average speed 17 mph :respekt:
Found a fan belt in the back of the Baron which fits so we are up and running again :P
A story for the next magazine David?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58 pm

amazing! I hadn't fully computed that you were actually purchasing this - well done! many pics, and, yes an article please! and of course if you need a place to store it I would gladly offer up my garage. :D
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:38 pm

What a kind offer - I fear the logistics for taking her out might get a bit frustrating :lol:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Kraken » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Lovely thing! Let’s be honest though Fred, you would have been bored if it had been a trouble-free journey home!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Boredom can become a pleasure as you get older :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jpsmit » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:43 am

Fred Dukes wrote:What a kind offer - I fear the logistics for taking her out might get a bit frustrating :lol:

Oh ture, I hadn't thought about that - of course I could take it out regularly until you can figure that out.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:59 pm

jpsmit wrote:amazing! I ...... and of course if you need a place to store it I would gladly offer up my garage. :D

Might take a long time to get to your garage at 17 mph average!

Yes ... a magazine article is on the cards.... Please keep as much info as possible for the article rather than posting on the forum :wink:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Previous

Return to General Discussion