the governor is back alive

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: the governor is back alive

Postby craig12 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

hes dead again , was booked in for mot today but cant shift him , poss brakes stuck on : :cry:
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:07 pm

It does not need an MOT, but of cause better to have one , even if you want to sell it. There are some other Viva members i am sure close by to you if you need some help freeing the brakes off. perhaps better to try and sell it and put the money towards one that needs less work. But again it is finding one close by at a reasonable price. You will find one if prepared to wait.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby craig12 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:18 pm

yes sir I understand theres a magnum owner in Rotherham to be fair if I sell it ill probably get a more modern classic 1982 onwards im now on the viva facebook page so if I decide youll probably see the ad on there
the mot was a peace of mind thing
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 pm

You can stick with Vivas but important to find the right one. Any car that's stood a long time will need work on the brakes etc. Over the winter I normally give them a run once a month even if only local
The car you have I believe was stood a long time will make a good project. But if you can not do a lot of the work yourself will cost a fair bit of you want it fully restored. Write down on a peace of paper what wants doing and work out if it's best to get it so you can drive it as an on going restoration. Or Better to cut your losses and sell it and put the money to something else. Of cause you can just leave it for now and come back to it at a later date.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby craig12 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:12 pm

its not hurting anything in the garage , gets rarer by the day cut mi losses im £1900 in it already :D
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby craig12 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:31 pm

rollin rollin rollin, back rollin again I had a mobile mechanic come and gently persuade the rear drivers wheel with some forcefull taps and away he went , its the side that sits lower to be fair , not sure wether it will need a new spring , both wheels I think are the same diamiter
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Lower on one side? See the article in the Spring magazine that all paid up members received at the beginning of March.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby craig12 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:50 pm

well everyone after some nervy starts (brakes ceased on) we eventually managed to get the magnum to a mot station , and in the end well its not too bad , althought its mot free this is the list

1) o/s front caliper twisted
2)wiper stalk broke
3)suspension not level at rear as one old spring is fitted with a new spring
4)oil leak engine
5)o/s front side llight dim
6)n/s track rod end worn
7)o/s track rod end rubber split
8)front to rear brake pipe coroded
9)o/s rear outer clevis (i think it says) siezed
10n/s rear inner clevis siezed

thats it i need the parts now , so to start 2 track rod ends and a wiper stalk , my god it was a challenge driving it
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:21 pm

craig12 wrote:9)o/s rear outer clevis (i think it says) siezed
10n/s rear inner clevis siezed

That'll be on the handbrake linkage, presumably. Inner and outer clevis on each side, holding each end of the cable either to the linkage or the handbrake lever. Seize up quite easily if you don't grease them.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:36 pm

I don't know a twisted caliper was diagnosed or how the symptoms would show up on an MOT test. track rod ends are cheap as they are the same as classic Mini, Allegro, Maxi, Marina and such like. Engine oil leaks on a Slat 4 can be a pain to find and then fix. If it's not pouring out then it's best to clean the engine down just before presentation at the test centre and hope for the best.

The side light problem is either a bad connection, a blackened bulb or a tarnished reflector.

Everything else seems straight forward enough and very fixable.

:goodluck:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion