Fuel smell

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Fuel smell

Postby Mike Attew » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Just wondering but I have about 3/4 tank of fuel, today when I walked past the Viva it smelt of petrol. No leaks, the smell is from the breather pipe. I can smell fuel around the bumper vent area. Anybody else have this? the pipe is a large diameter as well in my thinking for a breather. It may be because today is damp.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Fuel smell

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Yes Mike I get that too. Noticed it back in the 70's on my first Vivas. It seems to get worse when the cold fuel in the tank starts to warm up and expand, expelling fumes through the vent.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Yes I notice it as well - not something to worry about as David says been happening since the 70s :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am

I don't remember it in the 70's but then my car was parked in the open, yesterday my car was parked in an enclosed space and it was damp with the wind blowing in just the wrong direction I reckon. Petrol stinks nowadays as well. :D
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Modern cars have sophisticated vapour control systems rather than breathers to avoid releasing volotile organic substances and hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. That's why classic cars smell like cars should.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm

That reply made me laugh. I suppose the future with electric cars will be the smell of fried wires. :D
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion