Viva HB Front and rear screen rubbers

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Viva HB Front and rear screen rubbers

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:53 pm

rizzo wrote:Decided to go for it and ordered all the seals that i was interested in, ie front/rear screens and rubber locks, bailey channel, i/4 light, bonnet lacing, outer door glass seal.
One week to get to UK, one week in customs, and one week with Parcel force, would have been two if PF has delivered when they said.
IMG_4308.JPG

Front screen seal is the only one that says made in Thailand, so definitely not made in Australia that one.
IMG_4309.JPG

Not cheap by any means so i hope they all go together perfectly, the fact they have fitting videos on youtube would suggest they are good.
James how did the mini seals work out on the opening windows?

I haven't had chance to update my progress due to being busy. I had the rear screen rubber come from Australia and the difference is outstanding! It's perfect! No problems what so ever. I'll update with pictures soon. Also the opening rear windows seemed good, until I went to close the latch. The latch would get to the first locking point but it wouldn't pull completely in to fully lock it. It's hard to explain, but I'll do a write up soon with pictures, to keep everyone updated. I'd advise anyone to just spend the money and buy from Australia.

James
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:59 am

Just a quick update folks. If anyone reading this In the future, who is curious of where to buy rubbers, then go straight to rarespares site and spend the money on their rubbers! You will not be disappointed! I spent days of messing around with cheaper rubbers, and one ended up in the bin! I purchased a rarespares rear screen rubber and had it fitted in no more than 10 minutes with the help of my dad.

Rarespares is the way to go people. It costs a lot more, but the rubbers are spot on!

James
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:50 pm

I'm pleased to hear the rear screen rubber fits well, i'm looking through my seals and comparing to Rare spares to see how they compare, i will post up what i find.
Yes it would be good for future questions regarding seals if we could have this as a STICKY THREAD otherwise threads like this and all the others that members spend time offering advice will disappear into the ether, perhaps we could at least get a comment from the committee on the idea?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm

you can always put supplier recommendations in Supplier Links :wink: viewforum.php?f=36
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:55 pm

It's great that you've managed to fit the Rare Spares seals, James. How much were they and how long did you have to wait for delivery?

Like you I have just spent several fruitless hours this last weekend trying to get an East Kent Trim supplied HB rear window seal to fit. It won't. The reason, exactly as you have found, is that apart from being the wrong size and needing to be cut & shut (which we knew), it's also the wrong extrusion profile.

Like your previous post, the below picture shows two screen rubber seal extrusion profiles. The one on the left is an the 'off the roll' profile used this weekend to fit my front screen. I bought it from this bloke - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-VIV ... 2749.l2649

East Kent also supply the above profile (the one on the left in the picture) under their reference 1181. It's similar to the original Vauxhall profile. I have managed to use it to fit the front screen - although being from a roll it's not perfect in the corners.

The profile on the right is the East Kent supplied HB Viva rear window rubber seal. The picture shows the outer trim faces to the right with the glass channel uppermost.

We can see that the central upper channel in which the glass sits is shallower in the East Kent profile on the right than in the off the roll profile on the left. This has the effect of making the seal 'thicker' when in place - reducing the window aperture size by a few millimetres - and making it impossible to fit the screen.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm

So, I emailed East Kent Trim Supplies explaining the problem. No response.

I then tried telephoning them but had an unhelpful attitude from a bloke who tried to spin the usual old story of, 'No one has ever had a problem before. We've sold loads to satisfied HB Viva customers. It must be you doing it wrong.' I could almost hear the fag hanging out of the corner of this bloke's mouth as he lied to me...

So, exactly as described by James. If you're thinking of buying a screen rubber from East Kent Trim Supplies for your HB Viva, DON'T!

Despite the cost it really has to be Rare Spares.
Attachments
Last edited by Colin on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Perhaps James and yourself could do an article for the next magazine about the problem and to warn people off buying the rear screen rubber from EKT and we could maybe send them a complimentary copy :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Good idea Fred.

I will draft something with James if he is willing, but I wouldn't blame him if he's now all screen rubbered out! :lol:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:45 am

Colin wrote:Good idea Fred.

I will draft something with James if he is willing, but I wouldn't blame him if he's now all screen rubbered out! :lol:

i'm all rubbered out for sure :lol: . I'd love to help out with something for the next magazine, but unfortunately i'm not good at write-ups. We could give it a go though! when i have a spare 5 minutes, i'll see what i can mock up.
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Good man :P
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion