Viva HB Front and rear screen rubbers

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Viva HB Front and rear screen rubbers

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:17 pm

After a few more hours of battling I've managed to cobble together a rear screen rubber using some more of the 'off the role' screen rubber and part of the impossible to fit East Kent rear screen rubber incorporating its corners. Not ideal by any means but a thousand percent better than the rotten old rubber and dull Mylar chrome insert it replaces.

I had to use a section of the 'off the roll' rubber from one corner over the C pillars and roof to the other corner and the 'cut and shut' section of EKT rubber with its corners on the lower section. It was still a sod to fit but just about achievable with everything liberally oiled. By no means ideal but It will do for now.

I'm reasonably happy with the front screen rubber from a roll. It went in fairly easily.

Last edited by Colin on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:24 pm

So, here's what I've learned -

1) Don't buy anything purporting to be a screen rubber for HB Viva other than from either Rare Spares in Australia or the 'off the roll' screen rubber from Retro Car Seals for the front screen - or if you're confident about cutting the 45 degree mitre corners of the rear screen - (which, with hindsight, is what I should have done in the absence of a Rare Spares seal) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-VIV ... 2749.l2649

2) Avoid 'Classsic Car Seals' and 'East Kent Trim Supplies' HB Viva screen rubbers like the plague. They're not fit for purpose.

3) Here are the tools I used. These are sold cheaply on ebay as trim fitting tools but I found them ideal for prodding the oiled rubber seals into place. A small mitre block is used to ensure an accurate 90 or 45 degree angle when cutting the 'off the roll' rubber seal and the chrome Mylar trim-

3) Don't bother with soapy water. It dries too quickly. When the rubber is on the glass and sitting loosely in the aperture use oil or WD40 to make sure the seals are more slippery than Donald Trump's accountant. This is the only way to get the seals over the body lip and movable for positioning under pressure between the glass and the body.

4) Remember that Churchill said that success is the ability to go from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. :lol:

Colin
Last edited by Colin on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am

Well done Colin excellent job a triumph over oversalty or something! A good piece to put in the mag David to go along with the problems experienced with the East Kent and Classic Spares product.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:27 pm

thanks for this Colin! I am just curious about the use of oil as a lube - any lingering issues with leakage or ????
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:51 am

jpsmit wrote:thanks for this Colin! I am just curious about the use of oil as a lube - any lingering issues with leakage or ????

I haven't checked for leaks yet J.P. but I daresay there will be some. My screen sealant applicator tube is poised!

I must admit I've heard in the past that engine oil or WD 40 shouldn't be used as a lubricant for rubber - but I've never been able to ascertain why not exactly? Particularly with modern high neoprene plastic content rubbers.
I'm sure that if this is so then someone will be along in a minute to enlighten us. It would apparently seem sensible to use oil as a lubricant and rust preventative - certainly more so than high salt content water soluble detergents.
Last edited by Colin on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 am

I'd always presumed the issue was oil attacking rubber, but never quite sure why, if that's the case, some engine seals are made of rubber.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:36 am

Oil shouldn't attack it but it will cause the rubber to swell. I used some on my driver and passenger door rubbers to soften them as they had become very brittle
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:53 pm

very much appreciating all this! I have also heard that personal lube (KY jelly!) is good as it is slippery but doesn't have some of the other nasties (salt etc)

haven't tried it and er haven't tried it :roll:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:37 pm

jpsmit wrote:I have also heard that personal lube (KY jelly!) is good as it is slippery but doesn't have some of the other nasties (salt etc)

haven't tried it and er haven't tried it :roll:

Ooh-er! :shock: :lol:

Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 pm

Glad you managed to get somewhere with your seals Colin its certainly been a learning curve for sure.
So my first post on Rare spares seals is the rear bonnet seal, although at first glance it looks spot on after comparing however my concern is the top seal flap is longer than the original so wont tuck in on itself like the original, also the seal has to many holes which dont line up with the body, i would imagine you would have to stretch it 10mm or more in places to fit it. It does come with press clips though.
Will i be using it? no i,m afraid not, in my mind its not good enough, i do have a good genuine seal which i have bought back to life which i will be using.

Hope fully fitting front and rear screens shortly
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion