Magazine article on the SU, update

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Magazine article on the SU, update

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Since this went to print I have an update, first in case you didn't know the SU HIF38 is a 1 1/2" and the HIF44 is a 1 3/4" carb. The HIF38 uses a 90 thou jet and the HIF44 uses a 100 thou, the 38 uses an A-- needle and the 44 uses a B-- needle spring loaded. Complicated. The Stromberg CD150 uses a 100 thou jet which got me thinking.

I have since changed the jet in my HIF38 to a HIF44 100 thou with a BDL needle and it works very well with pulling power up to 60 [ speed limit ], I haven't used it enough for economy but the plugs are a good colour. I have also made a new sandwich throttle bracket.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Magazine article on the SU, update

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm

This seems a very simple and worthwhile conversion. Back in the 70's I fitted a 1 3/4" SU to a friend's 1256 Chevette, at that time I was running s DCD Weber on my 1256 Viva. I reckoned the SU conversion far easier to set up and better in every way to the DCD I was running.

The 1 3/4" will probably only have a very slight edge on the 1 1/2" at high revs, so probably very little advantage on going to 1 3/4" unless you envisage further modifications to head, cam and exhaust.

Also, the HIF series is an 'emissions' carb so you may find that your MOT test is easier to pass for those with post Oct '75 cars where emissions are tested.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Magazine article on the SU, update

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:04 am

1972nail wrote:Also, the HIF series is an 'emissions' carb so you may find that your MOT test is easier to pass for those with post Oct '75 cars where emissions are tested.

August 1975 just to be pedantic :D
I have purchased an HIF 38 after reading this article, just waiting on the car coming back from the paint shop.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion