Loading photos

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Loading photos

Postby Twin Headlamps » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Seeing members photos of their projects is always enjoyable and interesting and I have had a few refurb jobs on my Firenza over the years which I would have been happy to share pics of on the Web site.
However I cannot for the life of me get the handle on how to load photos to the forum.
If a member can give me an idiot guide in very simple English on the process I am all ears.
I have tried so many times but no.It just doesn't happen.
Twin Headlamps
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Loading photos

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 pm

If you have photo application on your PC load a photo and right click on it - select resize - choose the smallest option and save as to your desktop - choose this version when you upload an attachment to your post
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Twin Headlamps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:50 am

resize1595054601848.jpg
resize1595054601848.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Looks a bit fuzzy to me but it's a step forward at least.
Thankyou Fred.My saviour as always.
Twin Headlamps
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm

There's a restriction on the forum that limits photos to no more than 600 pixels in either direction, so when you resize, the thing is to get it as close to those dimensions as you can.

The alternative is to host it on another photo-sharing platform where you can usually post larger and get links to post the images in a forum, but if you post massive photos that way, those of us on relatively slow connections probably won't wait for them to download. So if you host externally, posting the 1024 x something size picture is ideal. Most photo hosting sites allow you to upload in full size, but then post a smaller version on the forum - this is great because the forum page loads quickly, but those who need to see in full resolution can usually just click on the photo.

The down side of external hosting sites is that they've recently had a habit of going from free to charging, without much warning, and then taking your photos off-line if you decide not to pay (like Photobucket). Or shutting down completely (like TinyPic). So there are lots of forum threads rendered useless because all the images have disappeared.

For me, the forum hosted images are the best solution, because you know they're not going to disappear any time soon. The size limit doesn't usually make a great deal of difference.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:19 pm

My solution is Facebook.

Post the pic there, right click on it and select "Copy image location" or similar

then click on the IMG option here and paste the URL in

This is direct linking to the image where Facebook hosts it and bypasses any of the privacy restrictions you have on Facebook so anyone on this forum can see it.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion