Gear-stick

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Gear-stick

Postby Mike Robinson » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:42 pm

A few days back it was a glorious sunny morning so I felt the Viva deserved a run in the country- well 'running' was a permitted exercise under the lockdown wasn't it? - and stopped to take a piccy as we neared home.

Tried to engage reverse to turn round, but as I lifted the knob the gear lever came to pieces in my hand!! Took the gaiter off to have a look and found this. I was a bit chilly after the drive but surely it couldn't be brittle fracture induced by the cold weather? Anyway I was able to push it in second gear and potter slowly home, where on closer examination I found that there is a cylindrical anti-vibration rubber between the two halves which had just come apart. (Maybe you all know that but I had no idea)
Well I guess I could glue it back together as a temporary fix, and have another go at rebuilding the ripped rubber cover (where the lever enters the box) but if anyone has a spare HC gear lever in one piece, I'm in the market!

Curiously the gear lever on my old Vectra failed in a similar way, but I was able to drive and change gear OK.

Sorry I'm too dozy to get the photos in the right places
Mike
Attachments
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Gear-stick

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:27 pm

I have found a gear stick with all the bits - it will need a clean up and the stick will need a rub down and a lick of paint - I assume you want the one with the Metal screw cap with the rubber shroud over - there is a small split in the shroud but you will be hard pressed to find a perfect one .
Yours for £13 delivered if it is what you want :wink:
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Mike Robinson » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks a lot Fred, just what I need. PM sent

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Mon May 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Curious, does your car have a convertible roof and if yes what was it sourced from? My open Magnum is just open.......... nothing to cover you frfom the elements when the rain comes! Looking for ideas
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion