From another website, re Number plates

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

From another website, re Number plates

Postby Bob perry » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Found on another website but thought this would be useful to share:

DVLA kindly requested we share this information with you....

This note is to tell you about important changes being introduced on 1 January 2021 that affect the ability of vehicles registered in the historic tax class to display the old style pre-1973 black and silver number plates.

Following the change in definition of a historic vehicle for vehicle tax exemption purposes in 2015, an issue was identified in the regulatory requirements for the valid display of a black and silver number plate. This resulted in an unintended consequence where any vehicle over 40 years old and registered in the historic tax class would be permitted to display an old style black and silver number plate. This was despite the law previously requiring all vehicles first registered after 1 January 1973 to only display the yellow and white number plates with black characters.

As this was never the intention, we have sought to rectify this through a legal correction which will shortly be implemented. The change seeks to prevent any vehicle constructed after 1 January 1980 from the ability to display the black and silver number plate despite being recorded in the DVLA’s historic tax class. Those vehicles with a construction date prior to 1 January 1980 will continue to be able to legally display black and silver number plates to avoid any undue costs of replacement.

Your members may also wish to note that from 1 January it will no longer be permissible to fix a new number plate displaying a Euro symbol. Number plates already fixed to vehicles are unaffected. We will also be introducing a new British Standard for number plates produced from 1 September 2021 which will mean all current style number plates that are first fixed to a vehicle from that date must meet the technical requirements contained in that standard.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: From another website, re Number plates

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks for that Bob there was a piece in CCW to the same effect but it did not mention the bit about the Euro symbol :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bob perry » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:50 pm

Hi Fred, wonder if it might be a useful article for the next Magazine?
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:41 am

You could send it to David - he always wants input.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bob perry » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:53 pm

OK will do.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:32 pm

It's useful to know, but will only affect owners of 80-83 HA vans with a preference for black / silver plates?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:53 am

Not all our members are sole Viva nuts like you Colin :lol: - some do collect more modern classics as well :!:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bob perry » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Also, I believe that some owners of classics from 74 reg onwards, claiming historic status under the 40 year rule, were required by DVLA to change to yellow/white plates.
This is the part that has been rescinded by DVLA, so owners can revert to black/silver or white, if they want originality.
This will now apply to all vehicles up to 1981 as well, if they were originally on black/white plates, not that many though, I agree.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 pm

Bob perry wrote:This will now apply to all vehicles up to 1981 as well, if they were originally on black/white plates, not that many though, I agree.

Didn't black/white plates become illegal from 1973 onwards, so nothing after that date would have been originally on those plates?

As I understand it, the only reason people have been on black/white plates for anything later than 1972 was from when VED exemption started moving again, and the wording in the intervening 15 years had linked the plate colour to VED exemption, erroneously. Some people took advantage of that, and will be able to continue using those plates.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby MattyE » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:50 pm

droopsnoot wrote:As I understand it, the only reason people have been on black/white plates for anything later than 1972 was from when VED exemption started moving again, and the wording in the intervening 15 years had linked the plate colour to VED exemption, erroneously. Some people took advantage of that, and will be able to continue using those plates.

yep that - i put my 78 Magnum on black/silver plates when I took it off SORN after its rebuild, it never had these originally but i prefer the look of the pressed steel plate and its legal by current rules, so why not!
1978 Magnum 2300 4dr
1972 Firenza 2300 Sport SL
1999 Saab 93 SE
MattyE
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion