Brake document. Comments invited

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Brake document. Comments invited

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:00 pm

Friends, elsewhere there is a conversation about me trying to sort out the brakes on the GT.

I might <might> be rebuilding my Master Cylinder and was looking for input.

Most relevantly, I discovered this page:

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/948 ... -1980..pdf

I presume it is valuable for the entire forum to have these numbers for their files. Feel free to download and share.

I am still trying to access the file for all makes - suggestions welcome.

More to the point, it looks as though there are a number of options for rebuild kits for my car. SP2381 (pg6) SP2485 (pg 6) SP1967 (pg5) etc. etc.

any thoughts? especially in the variety of models and apparent rebuild kit options.

thanks all
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Brake document. Comments invited

Postby caribougone » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 am

Us poor Canadians with our obscure early tandem braking systems...

I'd say you're looking for SP2482 (page 3) or SP2485 (page 6) - both are rare rebuild kits. SP 2381, SP1967, etc. kits are more common but googling pictures of their contents, they don't appear to have enough bits in them so they're probably for single circuit brake systems. You'll need to measure the bore of your master cylinder to figure out which one you need. The Girling book link (thanks for sharing it!) says...
SP2482 is for front discs, 8" rear drums, servo, tandem M/C with bore of .812"
SP2485 is for front discs, 9" rear drums, servo, tandem M/C with bore of .875"

My Austin 1800 has a very similar master cylinder but mounts directly onto the servo so that end is different. (same innards) I bought kit SP2482 for it from northwestclassic.co.uk for £17.00 plus £11.40 postage in 2016.

My Epic has Girling drums both front and back, no servo, and a tandem master which looks the same style as yours but .7" bore... not listed in that Girling book. It's rusty inside and out from sitting empty for decades and the only NOS one I found for sale was $370+shipping from Australia. :shock: So I'm going to try a $40 Spitfire tandem MC with the same .7" bore, same brake line threads, same mounting holes. All I have to do is bend some brake lines as the ports are on the opposite side. (facing the clutch cable instead of facing the engine)
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to General Discussion