HID LED Conversion now a MOT failure

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

HID LED Conversion now a MOT failure

Postby lord13 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 am

Hi people , long time no see... I've mainly been fighting with the carb on my astra mk2 and far far too busy to comment on here, but I noticed an thread on RR today and thought that it might be relevant to some of you as I know some of you have fitted HID and LED lamps ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-4

Don't shoot the messenger ok ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: HID LED Conversion now a MOT failure

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:47 am

all Vivas are now MOT exempt so sorta irrelevant, (but welcome info non the less), unless of course you offer the car for an MOT or it falls into the small section of cars that require an MOT because of mods etc.
pbottomley

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:46 pm

Oooo Good news, My Austin 7 was originally registered January 31, 1930 so apparently doesn't even need headlights. :P
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:31 am

pbottomley wrote:all Vivas are now MOT exempt so sorta irrelevant, (but welcome info non the less), unless of course you offer the car for an MOT or it falls into the small section of cars that require an MOT because of mods etc.

Yes I know they are all exempt from mot, but they are not all exempt from being roadworthy which is rather more relevant if you are involved in an accident or are stopped for a routine check.

Whether a car is mot exempt or not it still needs to be able to pass one on inspection at any time during the year . . .

Jeez
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Mon May 24, 2021 9:27 pm

This has been clarified and thrown out.

The reason for failure was breech of type approval, all Viva's predate type approval. As such an MOT tester can not fail you on it.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion