What do you keep?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

What do you keep?

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:14 pm

Kind of a serious question. I have a garage with more cr*p in it than it needs, I have a shed that I built in 2019 that I could easily park my mower in - not so easy any more. (in other words I genuinely don't have unlimited space and that is unlikely to change)

We have all had the issue where the part we needed we threw out last week.

I also want to make sure that the car actually works before I get rid of stuff, but do I really need a tub of headlight buckets? and 6 extra door handles when the two good ones have been re-chromed?

and 4 extra grilles? And, I don't generally know what is truly rare in Vauxhall world.

I just went to look for things and just got discouraged.

thoughts?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: What do you keep?

Postby cooperman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:34 am

Everything is getting rare in the Viva world!
I am in a similar situation and I'm starting to think that when I get the car on the road I might sell off all my spare bits except for some service items. What I am trying to work out is whether I am going to rebuild another Viva after this one? Because if I sell the bits and then take on a project will I be able to afford to buy parts as prices are going up?
I know that some people collect body panels as if they are involved in a crash, it would take months to find new / secondhand panels.
Anyway, I'm back to the shed to sort out that bag of hens teeth and that bucket of rocking horse poo.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:47 am

I've got too much stuff, but I've also got rid of stuff on the basis I'll never use it and then wished I hadn't. I had no intention of doing another restoration after my Sportshatch, but then another hatch appeared and there is stuff I need for it.

The biggest problem with keeping loads of stuff is being able to find it when you need it. I've been trying to organise some of my stuff a little better in the shed, but it's a big job. I'm one of those people that will buy stuff if it appears at the right price, just on the basis that I can never be sure when I might see another and at some point I might need it and would kick myself for not buying at the time.

The only thing I'd say about things like door handles is to perhaps hang on to a pair "just in case". In a few years, if the chrome starts coming off your re-chromed ones, it's nice to be able to have a spare pair to send off so you can leave the car on the road while they're being plated. Then all you have to do is get around to putting them on the car - when I sent handles off to be plated for the Firenza, they took too long to do them so I put a temporary pair on the car so I could crack on with it. That was in 1998, and they're still on.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:02 am

I have stuff from OHV Vivas that I will definitely not use, I have stuff from Austin Maxis and Hillman Hunters that I inherited from my late Father in Law. - Will I sell it? Your guess is as good as mine!

Getting motivated to sort it out and the necessity to research what it might actually be worth is my biggest problem.

I'm like Mike's idea, keep one spare of everything you might need, just in case. But then I have six sets of door handles and six pairs of tail lights..... I must heed my own advice. :roll:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC Fairley » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:02 am

I keep everything Viva related I can get my hands on, I even went as far as to buy a box body off the back of an old bread van so I can store everything in a dry, lockable spot without cluttering up shed workspace with spares.

I find this club has been pretty active in recent years when it comes to remanufacturing parts, however, we still can't make everything so throw out as little as possible in my opinion.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 pm

You need to work on the law of sod, the things ive got rid off and regretted at a later date as im sure alot of you guys can relate too, lol.
I try to hang on to one of everything if i can, obviously i dont have everything but if anything packs up i should have a spare. the same also applies to panels, glass, wheels, doors, headlights, bumpers, while your not planning on having a bump driving down the road that cant be said for the berk coming round the corner.
My advise if you can make the space keep it all but thin it out if you have multiples of.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:38 am

rizzo wrote:You need to work on the law of sod, the things ive got rid off and regretted at a later date as im sure alot of you guys can relate too, lol.
I try to hang on to one of everything if i can, obviously i dont have everything but if anything packs up i should have a spare. the same also applies to panels, glass, wheels, doors, headlights, bumpers, while your not planning on having a bump driving down the road that cant be said for the berk coming round the corner.
My advise if you can make the space keep it all but thin it out if you have multiples of.

that's kind of what I am thinking - and would certainly not get rid of things if they are of value to the club - though getting them there is always the issue
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to General Discussion